Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Head Gasket debate, more info requested. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36250-head-gasket-debate-more-info-requested.html)

BryanTuvell 11-04-2002 02:07 PM

Head Gasket debate, more info requested.

I plan to pro-charge this winter, I have a new (150 hour) 2001 gen VI 502, I am the original owner from 4 hours on. I ordered my new Stainless Marine exhaust today, now I am focusing on the procharger, or possibly the Gaffrig Coolcharger.

Anyway, some say replace head gasket first, some say they added power with comparible hours like mine and have been fine!

So, if I take the data I learned in my other two posts on Leak Down and Compression tests and they are good do I replace the head gaskets anyway? Is this roll of the dice? Is some installs professionally done just better?
What gasket would you use, stock replacement? Or???
Link please?
Mine would be a professional instal this January.
My motor runs like a top thus far, very very strong for a stock
502 Mag.

My next thread! To find a GREAT preformance mechanic in VA....
Or use an authorized procharge dealer.

Thanks in advance guys.
Bryan

Smitty 11-04-2002 02:18 PM

Do you want to pay once or twice???
Replace the head gaskets NOW with Felpro marine and replace the head bolts with ARP studs. I learned the hard way so learn from my mistakes.

Dave

BryanTuvell 11-04-2002 02:19 PM

Are those a standard name and can be found at like NAPA?
Thanks
Bryan

Cignificant 11-04-2002 02:27 PM

Brian, I don't know what head gaskets are on that engine.
I've always used the Felpro high performance marine gasket. I think the part number is 17048. You can get them from Summit or Scoggins Dickey.

BryanTuvell 11-04-2002 02:46 PM

Steve great to hear from you!
Who would you hire to do the work if you was me?
Any great sets of hands in the Richmond area?
Or I could just buy a cow and a keg and come to your house and be the gofer boy!
Bryan

Cignificant 11-04-2002 02:52 PM

Prochargers are a odd item up this way. We have lot's of expertise on carb blower motors, but that computerized stuff will need some skills I don't have. "Mate229" just bought a Fountain w/ a procharger on it, check with him.

bobby daniels 11-04-2002 03:56 PM

HEY I WOULD CALL ROBERT HORNE AT POWER MARINE IN N.C. TO DO YOUR WORK HE'S FAIR PRICED AND KNOWS ALOT ABOUT PROCHARGERS

ALSO ABSOLUTLY CHANGE HEAD GASKETS TO THE FEL-PRO SUMMIT MOST LIKLY HAS BEST PRICE AND USE NEW BOLTS ARP ARE BEST THE NEW 1012 HEAD GASKET WORKS GREAT IF YOU O-RING THE HEAD ROBERT CAN DO THIS

BUT PLEASE DO CHANGE GASKETS :D :D

BryanTuvell 11-04-2002 05:25 PM

bobby, thanks, he is now on my list of perspectives...
Where in NC? I am only 10 miles to the VA/NC line?
And have to pass through NC to get my boat back from Donzi in a couple weeks. I could pop in and take a look around...

I looked up the bolts in the ARP section of CP Perf, many different ones...
Why studs versus stock bolts?

Thanks allot, I am no wrench turner but a pretty smart guy, I usually capatialize on other peoples experiences that they have been through and their advice or what I should do etc.

Thanks again.
Bryan

bobby daniels 11-04-2002 06:04 PM

IF YOU HAVE FACTORY BLOCKS THAT DO NOT HAVE BLIND BOLT HOLES THIS IS A POINT THAT UNDER WATER PRESSURE WATER CAN RUN UP THE THREADS AND CAUSE CONDENSATION PROBLEMS OR SHOULD SAY WATER PROBLEMS ,THIS HAPPENS ALOT AND IS A REAL PROBLEM WITH THE WATER PRESSURE IN A BOAT ,THIS IS FROM YEARS OF PRACTICE ,FOR REAL ITS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE OR CHANCE OF IT THE A R P BOLTS ARE FINE FOR YOUR APP.

IF YOU HAD MERLIN OR DART BLOCKS THE HEAD BOLT HOLES ARE BLIND AND THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM ! ROBERT IS IN CHARLOTTE N.C. 704-889-3777 AND DOES GREAT WORK

HOPE THIS HELPS,ROBERT WILL SELL THE PARTS AT COST A SAVE YOU AGRAVATION
:D :D

Cignificant 11-04-2002 07:42 PM

Bryan, you may also need to change the valves. Inconel is the way to go with any blower application, and I doubt your's has them.