Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any other sail powered nerds? Show me your Dinghy. >

Any other sail powered nerds? Show me your Dinghy.

Notices

Any other sail powered nerds? Show me your Dinghy.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any other sail powered nerds? Show me your Dinghy.

Not that kind of dinghy,

I've taken about a week haitus from go-fast boats and projects, since I stumbled across an old hobby of mine with a road side sale... I hadn't even thought about messing with sailing dinghys for about 10 years, but I tripped over a smoking deal on a little Laser 2 that sits happily at the beach down the road from my house. While the weather hasn't exactly played to my tune, I've had it out in the bay 4 times in the last week, just for a couple hours after work. It's definitely not a loud proud, flashy muscle boat that I've been used to in the past few years, but with a bit of coaxing, these things hop right up and out of the water, and with friends can be quite a bit of fun (for what a few hundred dollars spent is worth, it's hard to beat)... I know it's offshore only, but there's got to be at least a few thunder boat guys on here who are into these little boats... So who's got em? Show me your dinghy!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I bought a C22 a few years ago to learn on. Have had a lot of fun with it. Figured it was an investment in my future for when I snap and decide I can’t work like I do anymore and check out lol.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Technically, this is not a dinghy but it shows I'm a supporter off all types of boats!
(Sorry about the poor quality photo, it's a little bit old ).

Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Had a J24, raced Lasers and Hobie Cats very competitively for about 10 years, grew up on sunfish and opti's, Phantoms, 420's, Puffer, lightnings, Flying Scotts, all of them.

I still like the beach cat stuff, can really cover some ground and hanging on the trapeze is fun, throw a cooler of beer on board and your living right. This pic is from a few years ago on a warm april day in Galveston

Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
Had a J24, raced Lasers and Hobie Cats very competitively for about 10 years, grew up on sunfish and opti's, Phantoms, 420's, Puffer, lightnings, Flying Scotts, all of them.

I still like the beach cat stuff, can really cover some ground and hanging on the trapeze is fun, throw a cooler of beer on board and your living right. This pic is from a few years ago on a warm april day in Galveston

Absolutely. The beach boat scene around me is really one of the hidden jems of the area, and it's actually surprisingly easy to get someone to go and try to hike out on the gunwales with when the weather gets rowdy. Perfect excuse to have a brew or two on the water on a week night, without having to worry about trailering 25 something feet of money!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Had a Hobie 18 with the wings, what a blast in a stiff wind out on the trapeze. Damn thing was fast too with a blow.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I see your from VA Beach. Funny story, last August we were at the shanty over in Cape Charles and it had been monsooning for 3 straight hours. You could barely see the docks so we were waiting out the storms with an endless stream of boat drinks when suddenly this guy appears out of nowhere through this rain storm and runs into the dock in his Hobie 16. He's soaked with nothing but an empty cooler of beer and his dog. Jumps on the dock and says "where the hell am I?". He'd started a casual sail from VA beach, got caught in this storm and ended up all the way on the Eastern shore. I'll never forget it - not a care in the world..... He wasn't worried about oil leaks, cracked headers, rebuild times or anything else we all worry about - I was envious....
Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I see your from VA Beach. Funny story, last August we were at the shanty over in Cape Charles and it had been monsooning for 3 straight hours. You could barely see the docks so we were waiting out the storms with an endless stream of boat drinks when suddenly this guy appears out of nowhere through this rain storm and runs into the dock in his Hobie 16. He's soaked with nothing but an empty cooler of beer and his dog. Jumps on the dock and says "where the hell am I?". He'd started a casual sail from VA beach, got caught in this storm and ended up all the way on the Eastern shore. I'll never forget it - not a care in the world..... He wasn't worried about oil leaks, cracked headers, rebuild times or anything else we all worry about - I was envious....
Funny, 30+ miles one way depending on where he started from, 60 round trip...heck of a trip on a little 16. However if there's a blow, he could do a leg under 2 hours easy.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm enjoying a sunfish I bought this year. First year sailing. Lot of fun.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

It’s on my short list for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.