Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Drives for Fountain 35 Lightning >

Best Drives for Fountain 35 Lightning

Notices

Best Drives for Fountain 35 Lightning

Old 08-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

According to the Bam Speed Calculator, you should run in the low to mid 90’s if you have 600 at the prop and get your x dimension and prop dialed in. I would call some prop gurus and start trying different props. Your x may be too low and you may need a shorty lower.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk to George at All American Drive Service @ 877-283-5465. He's now offering a two year warranty on his Ultra Series Bravo drive for up to 700HP and one year for up to 850HP.

GF?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ar300johnson
According to the Bam Speed Calculator, you should run in the low to mid 90’s if you have 600 at the prop and get your x dimension and prop dialed in. I would call some prop gurus and start trying different props. Your x may be too low and you may need a shorty lower.
or maybe he isn't making 600 at the prop?just saying.friends 35 w/ 525efi's runs right around 84-85mph w/ xr bravo's.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bears3460
Hello all, seeking advice for cost effective drives upgrade for a 99' 35 lightning single step with fresh twin 625 hp Atteco engines. Currently Bravo 1 drives 32p props. Currently only 84.5 mph Boat needs another 200 rpms, gets to 5100 rpms, thinking Bravo 1 30p props or swapping out lower units with speedmasters or imco shorties? Then down the road replace the uppers? Or should I just find a pair of SSM IIIs or similar? Trying to get a real top speed.. thank you!
I ran right at 80 with my 99 35 EX with HP 500's and bravos running hydromotive (27s I think) 4 blades. The 35's like Hydromotive props, 4 blades and P-5X's. If the boat has a stock X dimension from 1999 the drives are buried compared to the X they ran in the mid-2000's. Running 5 bladed props allowed them to get on plane with the higher X.

Sounds like a nice little set up with what you have but if you must throw money at it for more speed then I"d say go with a set of -2 Imco shorties and call Bret at B-blades and get in their prop testing program. He'll probably steer you in the direction of P5X's. If you do go with a set of IMCO drives you'll need to also install a set of relief valves or the increased water pressure will blow your hoses off. You'd probably run close to 90 with the right set up.

Last edited by Marginmn; 08-31-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I ran right at 80 with my 99 35 EX with HP 500's and bravos running hydromotive (27s I think) 4 blades. The 35's like Hydromotive props, 4 blades and P-5X's. If the boat has a stock X dimension from 1999 the drives are buried compared to the X they ran in the mid-2000's. Running 5 bladed props allowed them to get on plane with the higher X.

Sounds like a nice little set up with what you have but if you must throw money at it for more speed then I"d say go with a set of -2 Imco shorties and call Bret at B-blades and get in their prop testing program. He'll probably steer you in the direction of P5X's. If you do go with a set of IMCO drives you'll need to also install a set of relief valves or the increased water pressure will blow your hoses off. You'd probably run close to 90 with the right set up.
Box stock 26" Hydro 4 blades Robert, I also had a set of 28" Merc Labbed Bravos as well. Both sets worked well, Hydros were better high speed handling and the Bravos were the better all around and crusiers, top speed was about same with either sets.