Notices

Key West to Dry Tortugas

Old 09-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Buddy just did it this last weekend in his Baia and said it was an absolute blast.

he confirmed just no where the markers and reefs are as there is a lot of shallows in the area.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Buddy just did it this last weekend in his Baia and said it was an absolute blast.

he confirmed just no where the markers and reefs are as there is a lot of shallows in the area.

Now that is the way to go!
I'd love to spend the night out there on a boat like that.

A buddy wanted to go a few years back and take the seaplane. It was expensive to just go snorkeling and I said for that kind of money we could fly to Bimini instead. He said, great lets go to Bimini so we turned the trip into a Bimini trip instead.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0

Key West to Dry Tortugas-ef1c4c90e182220d76a556126cdcff13.jpg
Ummm...now that's a boat
Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Ummm...now that's a boat

Ya he is a lucky S.O.B for sure but he has earned it.

Love his Baia and he has a Marlargo CC and a 30 Spectre cat if it isn't sold yet. Just had a full interior refit in that Baia this year, boat is beautiful and flawless.

Also if anyone if on IG and follow "the qualified captain". He is the boat with the massive rooster tail that has a Cig with outboards runs through it, they are close friends.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

We plan on making the trip this year too.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

I am also interested
Old 09-03-2019, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Good info guys. Thank you. Knew about the seaplane and ferry. We just thought it would be more fun to go with our own boats.... since we're down there, run 'em. Beaching the boats would be cool, we'd probably want to do that. Open to anybody that wants to join and/or knows the way, would definitely be up to following someone that is familiar.

Just myself and my buddy in a 32' Sunny. Might have another 35 Cig going too. All from northern Jersey.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

We did the trip last year on Thursday. We probably took off a little too late out of key west. I think we left around 11:30-noon and ran in a 39 cigarette center console about 40-50 till half way between the last two islands and stopped for sandwiches. There is enough distance between the last islands that you can look around 360 degrees and not see land which is cool for people that have never done it. Then went on to the fort and got a slip. Walked through most of it in a slight hurry. We were probably only there for an hour to an hour and half. We probably would have only stayed another 30 min if we would have had time and not felt rushed. Ran back at different speeds 30-65 depending on waves between islands. And made it back to where we could see key west while the sun was setting but ended up in the harbor at dark.

I would leave key west around 9:30 - 10 if you want to run those speeds. Get sandwiches and eat them right before you get there. Stop part way back and have another snack.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
We did the trip last year on Thursday. We probably took off a little too late out of key west. I think we left around 11:30-noon and ran in a 39 cigarette center console about 40-50 till half way between the last two islands and stopped for sandwiches. There is enough distance between the last islands that you can look around 360 degrees and not see land which is cool for people that have never done it. Then went on to the fort and got a slip. Walked through most of it in a slight hurry. We were probably only there for an hour to an hour and half. We probably would have only stayed another 30 min if we would have had time and not felt rushed. Ran back at different speeds 30-65 depending on waves between islands. And made it back to where we could see key west while the sun was setting but ended up in the harbor at dark.

I would leave key west around 9:30 - 10 if you want to run those speeds. Get sandwiches and eat them right before you get there. Stop part way back and have another snack.
Yea, we are doing to the Wednsday departure to Key West, so we were thinking a day trip out there on Thursday and leave in the morning. Thank you for the feed back.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
We plan on making the trip this year too.
Provide some info and pics in a thread that others may learn. Heading to Panhandle next year and info is limited outside of fishing in this area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.