Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA Confirms Sanctions For Race World Offshore In Clearwater And Key West >

APBA Confirms Sanctions For Race World Offshore In Clearwater And Key West

Like Tree29Likes

APBA Confirms Sanctions For Race World Offshore In Clearwater And Key West

Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Default APBA Confirms Sanctions For Race World Offshore In Clearwater And Key West

The plot thickens, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...r-and-key-west.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Registered

I wonder how many teams are gonna go to key West instead of Englewood now. I have a feeling next year is going to be even a bigger battled between rwo and opa with the race sites and the teams will have to decide what races or organization to mostly attend. It's only hurting the fans and the venues that will have low boat counts.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

So is Englewood worlds with OPA / P1 a APBA race? Being its in Florida does that fall under RWO? This is very confusing and I have been racing every year for the last 21 years. Sounds like APBA just stepped on its own di$k and doesn't know it yet.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
So is Englewood worlds with OPA / P1 a APBA race? Being its in Florida does that fall under RWO? This is very confusing and I have been racing every year for the last 21 years. Sounds like APBA just stepped on its own di$k and doesn't know it yet.
While OPA retains the exclusive APBA sanctioning rights for races in the Northeast, I don't believe that any of the APBA clubs (RWO, P1 or OPA) have "exclusive" sanctioning rights in the Southeast. That means, per your question, that Englewood Beach—assuming OPA runs it under an APBA sanction—is an APBA-sanctioned race (sorry for the redundancy) and therefore applicable to APBA's internal High Points Championship.

But also worth noting: Englewood is not part of the current six-race series being produced by OPA and Powerboat P1—it is a stand-alone OPA event. I don't think P1 has any involvement with that event.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So why do you post this BS and not give all the facts so the not die hard gets the whole story instead of trying to create drama ?
klaatutooyou likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:27 PM
Registered

So Im guessing lawyers have become involved,,,
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My head hurts...
Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by flat rate View Post
So why do you post this BS and not give all the facts so the not die hard gets the whole story instead of trying to create drama ?
Did you actually bother to read the story? Because all of the details are in there.

What part of the story is "B.S.?"

The story is of news value and was properly reported as such. Your response to it, however, seems a bit dramatic.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 09-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Registered

Sorry for my ignorance on APBA rules and what they actually do and provide for me as a racer and a organization. Can Matt or someone please explain to the rest of us who don't actually know. As a racer I have to pay a annual fee to be a member and I heard the organization pays a fee per race. Im looking for a constructive conversation of the pros and cons not a $hit show.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
Sorry for my ignorance on APBA rules and what they actually do and provide for me as a racer and a organization. Can Matt or someone please explain to the rest of us who don't actually know. As a racer I have to pay a annual fee to be a member and I heard the organization pays a fee per race. Im looking for a constructive conversation of the pros and cons not a $hit show.
What specific question are you looking for me to answer that isn't answered in the news story as reported? I'm not sure what information you're after.

You do (as you know much better than I do as it's your money) pay dues. And OPA does pay to be an APBA club member (as does Powerboat P1 and Race World Offshore), though I'm not sure how that is structured. As noted above (and in the story), OPA has an exclusivity agreement with APBA on a sanctions in the Northeast. No APBA club-member organization has exclusivity in Florida.

Now, if you're asking for an explanation behind APBA's decision to sanction the two RWO races in Florida, that would be a question for APBA leadership. But the email from APBA president Howie Nichols essentially stated that APBA was following its own sanctioning rules in granting those sanctions. That, too, was included in the story.

APBA has long had its own High Points Championship for the offshore category. However, it's worth noting that until RWO became a club member OPA was APBA's only club-member in the offshore category in recent history. (Powerboat P1 is an APBA member but I'm reluctant to call its SuperStock series "offshore racing.") Super Boat International was not an APBA club, so none of its races counted toward APBA's own points tally. So according to the racers I spoke with for yesterday's story, the APBA High Points Championship wasn't ever relevant to those competing with SBI and is not particularly relevant now.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 09-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser