Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done >

Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Notices

Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

The large hose hanging down is for bilge ventilation. Usually, the hose bringing in fresh air is up high and the one that's connected to a fan motor goes down low. This is to suck out gas fumes since they settle at the bottom (heavier than air). You're supposed to run the fans for 5 mins before you crank eng/s and when going slow but most people don't.

A lot of times the hose bringing in fresh air is connected to louvers (on the side of the boat) that face into the wind forcing air into bilge to feed engs and provide ventilation.
Louvers facing rearwards should be connected to lower hose/s to help draw out fumes when underway. That way you don't have to run the bilge fan when cruising..
Old 09-17-2019, 08:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have no idea what was mentioned here but before you get after it I would check for transom rot and stringer rot. In one pic at the drain plug is that a rotted wood stain running out of it and down ?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 PM
BUP
Banned

You need indicator cables - the outer is tearing apart. Also is that a white silicone bead line around the transom assemblies to transom seal ? If so that usually is a sign of a water leaking transom and the boat owner bandaide to stop the water leaking and or stop it while its for sale.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Have no idea what was mentioned here but before you get after it I would check for transom rot and stringer rot. In one pic at the drain plug is that a rotted wood stain running out of it and down ?
Thanks for the reply and advice! The discoloration under the drain plug is just a little rusty water stain, I’ll clean that up. I actually checked the transom with a moister meter which I know isn’t a perfect test but it’s dry and solid. The only rot I’ve found is actually around the edges of the backend of the fuel tank.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
You need indicator cables - the outer is tearing apart. Also is that a white silicone bead line around the transom assemblies to transom seal ? If so that usually is a sign of a water leaking transom and the boat owner bandaide to stop the water leaking and or stop it while its for sale.
i noticed that too. Assumed at 31 years old the drives have been serviced a time or two and I’m about 90% sure the port side drive is a replacement Bc the fins are shaped slightly different and the port side has no mercruiser stickers. Wouldn’t they always bead it with silicone after a major service or replacement? There are Federal Marine stickers all over the transmission so they have clearly been serviced at some point too.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Its had a 6 to 8 inch water line in the boat for while - brown staining all over in the engine compartment. Also in the bottom right corning check for rot in this pic. You see the brown water line in this pic as well, That bottom right corner looks like possible rot and where that hose area is coming thru.
in the pic below
Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Its had a 6 to 8 inch water line in the boat for while - brown staining all over in the engine compartment. Also in the bottom right corning check for rot in this pic. You see the brown water line in this pic as well, That bottom right corner looks like possible rot and where that hose area is coming thru.
in the pic below
I noticed that too. I felt that spot with my hand and it was solid, almost like someone needed a hole and didn’t have a saw so they just punched it through with a hammer and a screwdriver...something my dad would do. And I see the waterline. It definitely took on water at some point, I just don’t know for how long.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyba20

“I’m Content” doesn’t have the same attitude to it...wouldn’t have been my first choice for a name but whatever.
park it facing up your hill and scotch it. I would want it to be able to drain otherwise may have standing water in cabin after rain
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 12meter
park it facing up your hill and scotch it. I would want it to be able to drain otherwise may have standing water in cabin after rain
100%. You can’t tel from the picture but it’s hooked up to my truck. [img]blob:https://www.offshoreonly.com/930ca18f-62d5-47b2-8c1c-f50a62441074[/img]
Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 12meter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.