Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Notices

Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Old 09-17-2019, 12:56 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

I’ll start by saying I thought I knew quite a bit about boating. Then I bought this 1988 Formula 357 and realized I don’t. I love it, but I know nothing. I am looking in every direction and seeing things I don’t even know what to call. If an artist rendered a drawing of me with this boat is would be me standing there looking at it confused with my hands on my hips. I’ve searched the forum and done some reading but still. Do any of you guys know anything about this boat? The electrical system, the TRS drives, heck I’m not so sure the previous owner didn’t change the throttle control cables (shouldn’t forward/reverse be on the left side?), but I have no context with these boats. Any Formula experts care to weigh in and give me some general operating and maintenance advice? I grew up with Mastercraft’s, Supra’s, Sea Rays, and a Chaparral cruiser, but this offshore stuff is a different animal.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

If you want help, you are going to have to ask some specific questions. In reality, there are a lot of boaters that don't know much about boats.

As far as the shifters, it depends on what you have.
If you have normal offshore style controls like pictured here https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...57-o75654.html
they can be taken apart and configured with the levers in a number of ways. Its personal preference. A lot of people like the shifters on the outsides and throttles in the middle.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
If you want help, you are going to have to ask some specific questions. In reality, there are a lot of boaters that don't know much about boats.

If you have normal offshore style controls like pictured here
they can be taken apart and configured with the levers in a number of ways. Its personal preference. A lot of people like the shifters on the outsides and throttles in the middle.
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to upload pictures with specific questions but the forum won’t let me until I post 10 times. It’ll be easier for me to post pics and ask questions bc I’m just not familiar enough to even have the vocabulary to ask a coherent question.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

A - you're in the right place - OSO
B - take a deep breath. They aren't that complicated once you get to know them, I promise.
C - congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep posting comments, then get us some pics! We'll help.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice boat good luck old style throttles my guess?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Congrats on the Formula, member since 2013 and only 8 posts. What part of TN. are you in? Kuttawa (HU-B'S) has a few 357's that frequent the area. May be a place to investigate for knowledge. Good Luck
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff

If you have normal offshore style controls like pictured here https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...57-o75654.html
This boat should be put back together,
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Congrats on the Formula, member since 2013 and only 8 posts. What part of TN. are you in? Kuttawa (HU-B'S) has a few 357's that frequent the area. May be a place to investigate for knowledge. Good Luck
Yea, what part of TN are you in?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Just push all four levers all the way forward. You’re welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.