Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the sport of offshore racing dying? >

Is the sport of offshore racing dying?

Notices

Is the sport of offshore racing dying?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the sport of offshore racing dying?

I think the regulations made to bring offshore racing closer to shore by having more "spectator friendly" courses and the fact that the boats of the modern era are much lighter and shorter than what they used to be has ultimately killed the sport of offshore racing. The Supercat rules that were made ahead of the 2000 season are one of the dumbest decisions ever made in the history of powerboating, sure offshore racing has never been the best organized or a particularly professional sport but that decision has more or less killed offshore racing in my opinion. UIM Class 1 soon followed APBA and made their premier class a inshore racing series from 2003, both Supercat and Class 1 are now gone because nobody wants to see big cats running inshore races. "Offshore" racing needs to back to its roots in order to survive but i doubt the boats these days would last in rough seas. Anyway, i think offshore racing was way more spectacular back in the day when they actually raced offshore.

Last edited by Joestlaachmkr; 09-18-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

todays boats would not last in rough seas ? not sure about that! technology made it's way thru hull construction too IMO !
Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
todays boats would not last in rough seas ? not sure about that! technology made it's way thru hull construction too IMO !
Well.. all the boats made during the last 10-15 or so years are lighter, smaller and shorter than what offshore boats used to be, and they are not designed to tackle rough seas. I doubt any of these inshore boats would have survived classic offshore courses.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Are you talking about the glorified milling circle they call key west?? Which will be run by a promoter who just held a race for 7 boats in seven different classes......
Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I’m not sure how to respond to this !
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Kind of funny that most races are actually ran in rougher water. They are close to beaches which brings breakers. Breakers at a beach will generally be tougher than 20-30 miles offshore. No shortage of 40+ boats going full airborne in a lot of these races. Running out in the middle of nowhere literally does nothing for the sport itself. No spectators, no sponsors, it all disappears. Supercat is a fun exciting class with a lot of boats to watch.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Yup.

I think the 525 killed the factory classes and that killed offshore racing. Nothing like traveling to watch boats do parade laps to collect a trophy
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

is it dying...no it’s already dead.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

if you think offshore racing is dying then you have not paid attention to what opa has had this season. most races I believe have had 60+ boats with great racing. I think there have been 10 plus super stocks, 7+ supercats, the class 1 boats have had 4-5, then look at the super v light classes with great turnouts in both of those classes and great racing as well
So the boats don't do the so called spectacular races miles offshore where no one can see them. when was the last time that happened anyway? I do agree that some of the course (key west) have been shortened too much, but overall the spectators have been turning out and have been rewarded with great competitive races
Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
is it dying...no it’s already dead.
pretty much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.