4 Of A Kind is alive again in upstate NY >

4 Of A Kind is alive again in upstate NY

Notices

4 Of A Kind is alive again in upstate NY

Old 09-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Id think the gear drive that connects the drive shafts to the prop shaft is direct drive ?? when one of the trans are put in gear the prop is turning, front or rear engines, its a heavy beast and needs all 4k HP to get it on.......
That is how it works so if one engine is put into gear it will start to spin the planetary gears of the other trans and with no fluid movement for cooling she will burn up the transmission if she runs for like that for any long period of time
Old 09-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts

"Good job stealing the thread! That’s an apples to oranges comparison of boats."
Bostonirish
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely apologize. Had zero intention of stealing a thread. My contribution was only with the intention of showing the two so different approaches to choosing a design for the rigging and driveline choices when it came to these two impressive Outerlimits of this magnitude. I, therefore, decided on the title; " Quad Outerlimits at different ends of the spectrum."
That the 47' Outerlimits '4 Of A Kind', of this thread, originally had wonderful Keith Eickert mills, downboxes and ASD10s sure made everybody take notice more than 20 years ago, and IT IS still a very interesting boat. I look forward to following the fortunate owner's endeavors to make her run great this time around. My sarcastic comments surrounding her previous unfortunate turn of events with regards to biz $$$ is better forgotten by now. Subscribing to this thread and again I'm sorry if I unintentionally disrupted this thread about this unique 47 Stiletto, that most offshore boaters would love to call their own.
Lars

Last edited by larslindroth; 09-27-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Not some kind of over running clutch like on a tractor pto
If you look at post #60 each engine has a transmission and it is a direct drive after that .
Old 09-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by green lightning
If you look at post #60 each engine has a transmission and it is a direct drive after that .
is one engine on a crashbox and one on a velvet drive?
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered

No both are velvet drive type transmissions , But the owner is talking about putting a shiftable crash transmissions back in there To maybe lesson some of the transmission problems the boat has had .
Old 09-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I like the way American ethanol did it. But I’m kinda struggling with understanding what kind of forces the rear engines crankshaft sees in that setup.