Notices

HELP... Trailer Tires

Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP... Trailer Tires

My buddy is taking a friends 39' Nor-Tech down for the winter to Florida on my MYCO, he blew another tire just 30 minutes out of Cape Coral... When I say another it's happened twice last year coming home from FT. Lauderdale with my 39 NT on it... Time for new tires when the trailer gets home tomorrow as my boat is heading to Florida in 5 weeks for the winter.
The question, what is the best trailer tire on the market, what rating do I need etc...

Any help would be appreciated as i want to do this just once.
Thanks in advance, Patrick
Old 09-28-2019, 03:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I have gladiator 14 plys on mine, been back and forth to florida, ohio and connecticut... the stiffer sidewalls make it tow like a dream and turn better when backing because of less sidewall flex.. its also easier on the torsion joints with stiffer sidewalls. i think the size is 235/85/16
Old 09-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your tire size?
Old 09-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Pat,
The Sailun 14 ply tires get great reviews on the Toy Hauler and RV sites.

https://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85...RoCbM4QAvD_BwE

That's probably where I would invest my money if I were you. Gladiator also has good reviews, but I hear more about the Sailun tires.

Also, be certain of two things. Do NOT park the trailer on grass when not in use. Gravel, boards, boards with Teflon sheets or asphalt shingles on top, concrete, or pavement; preferred in that order. Parking on dirt/grass destroys tires. Moisture wicks up from the dirt/grass and affects the tire's composition.
AND, be certain that the tires are covered and protected from UV rays. I use and recommend these:
https://www.amazon.com/Amfor-Waterproof-Protectors%EF%BC%8CFits-Weatherproof-Protectors/dp/B071NP7XNC https://www.amazon.com/Amfor-Waterproof-Protectors%EF%BC%8CFits-Weatherproof-Protectors/dp/B071NP7XNC

I have also been using this trailer TPMS for the past year, and it's worth EVERY penny.
Be certain to get new high-pressure valve stems with a brass core put in your wheels with the new tires. And then invest in the trailer TPMS. It is waterproof.
Amazon Amazon
https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-28-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned the 14 ply 16" Sailuns and also the Gladiators. All were used on several different large triple axle boat transport trailers with torsion axles. Many many miles on these trailers and never had a blow out with either of those tires. Both are good tires but Sailuns are my first choice if I have the option.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by pat@osp
I've owned the 14 ply 16" Sailuns and also the Gladiators. All were used on several different large triple axle boat transport trailers with torsion axles. Many many miles on these trailers and never had a blow out with either of those tires. Both are good tires but Sailuns are my first choice if I have the option.
id take this guys word for it...pats the best
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Like you, my trailer tires started failing near the same time. After the third one blew and the fourth had wires protruding I changed to a bigger diameter tire and higher weight rating. Now they don't flex constantly while going down the road. I bought Marathons.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Trailer tires blow in succession because they are all abused in the same fashion. I had one go on my Toy Hauler that damaged the floor, lower trim, insulation, and side panel. Bought 8 new ones (2 spares) the next week. I did the same on my Myco a several years back.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys.... Going to look at trailer this afternoon to get tire size and order a six this afternoon!!
Old 09-29-2019, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Lots if info in the Trailer section of the forum as of late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.