Teams Ready For RWO Clearwater Offshore Nationals >

Teams Ready For RWO Clearwater Offshore Nationals

Notices

Teams Ready For RWO Clearwater Offshore Nationals

Old 09-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand that a lot of the people usually on the pier is crew, family and friends but you need race boats for that to happen...
When the race was in St Pete those people weren’t there for the beach. JS
Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

" To have a possible chance for a successful event, you must have people "accidentally" learn about it. "

( Rodger Penske said that to me at our INDY races in Fontana around 1991. )
Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mountie
Clearwater race? I saw nothing advertised about it. If these races are to become more successful, they need to let people know about it!!

I am not talking about racing / internet information..... At least a little TV ad would have been nice.
very true I don’t remember seeing any ads on tv this year like other years. Bright House the cable company use to be a sponsor so the ads were all over different channels.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

There was ads on TV and on the radio.

Not near as much as when bright house sponsored it but they were there.

As far as a crowd goes for race day there absolutely was one. The boat field was packed, Jimmy's crows nest was selling tables for $125 a pop and all where sold out, the Hyatt we wanted from was pack and our hotel (the Wyndham grand) was sold out as well and there was a lot of poker run shirts around the pool deck so it was not just the usual Euro visitor.

The race itself is what lacked but the interest in the event did not.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to every Clearwater race since inception. Walked right in to Clear Sky Rest for breakfast with no wait which was a first. The Hilton was not sold out. The were tons of empty Cabanas and tables beach side at the Hilton. There were people on the beach but not as packed as in the past. Everyone in our group was commenting on how empty the pier was compared to the past.

I personally have no dog in this hunt but from my perspective the crowd mirrored the boat count.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kr1276
I have been to every Clearwater race since inception. Walked right in to Clear Sky Rest for breakfast with no wait which was a first. The Hilton was not sold out. The were tons of empty Cabanas and tables beach side at the Hilton. There were people on the beach but not as packed as in the past. Everyone in our group was commenting on how empty the pier was compared to the past.

I personally have no dog in this hunt but from my perspective the crowd mirrored the boat count.
I disagree and was there was well and go to every race as well. Thought the crowd and the boat raft crowd was pretty much the same as it always has been and I can tell you as we stayed there the Wyndham grand was sold out.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the extent the spectator fleet and hotel viewing areas mirrored prior years, it was only because those folks had no idea there was a switch from SBI to the rwo charade. False advertising and misrepresentation through concealment. Hopefully, Clearwater will switch to OPA next year, assuming it has an opening on its calendar, and we can go back to a real event. I would have to think the sponsors and promoters could not throw the rwo people out of town fast enough. If the sport is lucky, there will be fewer than 30 boats in KW and the sport can get going again. And please, get APBA out of the way. So worthless. I even heard there was an APBA rep at the event talking about their support for rwo. That is disgustingly disloyal, but sadly, par for the course.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike A.
To the extent the spectator fleet and hotel viewing areas mirrored prior years, it was only because those folks had no idea there was a switch from SBI to the rwo charade. False advertising and misrepresentation through concealment. Hopefully, Clearwater will switch to OPA next year, assuming it has an opening on its calendar, and we can go back to a real event. I would have to think the sponsors and promoters could not throw the rwo people out of town fast enough. If the sport is lucky, there will be fewer than 30 boats in KW and the sport can get going again. And please, get APBA out of the way. So worthless. I even heard there was an APBA rep at the event talking about their support for rwo. That is disgustingly disloyal, but sadly, par for the course.
I completely agree the crowds where near the same as prior years as the masses have zero clue what RWO or OPA is and why so few boats where at one event.

Also completely agree that they can not have another year like this year and keep expecting those crowds.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I completely agree the crowds where near the same as prior years as the masses have zero clue what RWO or OPA is and why so few boats where at one event.

Also completely agree that they can not have another year like this year and keep expecting those crowds.
The Clearwater promoters should reach out to Smitty first thing this morning. And Smitty should strip APBA from all of its promotional materials, and not allow any APBA reps on his racesites as they are obviously playing both ends against the middle. If OPA needs to find alternative insurance to make that happen, I can help. Time to drain the swamp once and for all.

Last edited by Mike A.; 09-30-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.

You should stick up for Jason, but it was a puff piece, intentional or not, and read more like a press release than a normal article. No big deal.
Agree to disagree. No big deal here as well. (Civil discussion is so rare these days.)

Maybe you'll like the next one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.