Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Changing trailer brakes from drums to disc. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36328-changing-trailer-brakes-drums-disc.html)

tanned fat looks better 11-05-2002 11:26 AM

Changing trailer brakes from drums to disc.

Anyone do this? What kind of cost is involved? I need new brakes and i'm thinking about switching to disk. Is it worth the expense or touble?

Crazyhorse 11-05-2002 11:40 AM

Dyno and Traviss have both expressd interest in this swap. You might want to give them a holler.

Dave M 11-05-2002 11:44 AM

I replaced my drum with drum again and wish I would of did the disk conversion. After one season my brakes are acting up again. The price is similar. I was just weary of those "bolt on conversions". It seem like you always run into some snag.

Dave M.

dyno 11-05-2002 11:48 AM

seams like a good idea to me but I cant find any 6 lug kits

Sydwayz 11-05-2002 11:50 AM

I am going to do the same thing. I have one axle on my tandem trailer with drum brakes, and I am going to all for discs. Brian, TOPDJ; did this on his with the Tiedown Engineering kit, and said it was easy. Do a search for his post.

I spoke w/ my trailer manufacturer, and he does not like the Tiedown system. I am having both of my axles replaced, and I think he is going to supply disc brakes on the new axles for me. I can also get them locally at a campler place for $145 each wheel. Champion trailer parts (on the web) has them for about $100 each wheel. I was also told I need to change out the plunger/actuator in the surge controller to go from drum to disk brakes. I am learning as I go, but hope to have it all done in 2 weeks or less.

PhantomChaos 11-05-2002 11:51 AM

I just reworked my brake system a few weeks ago. I have the electric over hydraulic six-disk system. I had the rotors turned, but I still had a “pulsing” when using the brakes like they were warped. Anyway, I took the chance to make a change and replaced the rotors, calipers and everything to stainless steel. A little pricey, but I think I will save in the long run. So if you’re upgrading to disk, and you dump in the salt, consider going stainless.

Sydwayz 11-05-2002 11:51 AM

www.championtrailers.com has everything you need.

Also try Mr. Offshore from here on OSO. He sells trailers and parts!

burtandnancy 11-05-2002 12:01 PM

I'm going to do it as soon as I can get the boat off the trailer. But I need advise if I should do two or all three axles. Will probably use Xtreme in Riverside as they do great work and have recently received a lot of very positive publicity.

Flashwave 11-05-2002 01:04 PM

Trailrite replaced mine using Demco parts with a 2 year warranty. Cost was about $1600 for 2 axles. Well worth the money. You can buy cheaper parts, but, I'm told they won't last.

olemissalum 11-05-2002 01:23 PM

I did my trailer and it was easy. Northern Tools sells a kit made my TIE DOWN, about 120 per wheel and I highly recommend them. Installation a breeze and work great. I hate Drums