Notices

Cat Back Exhaust Systems

Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Back Exhaust Systems

I have a 99 Chevy Crew Cab Dually 4wd 7.4 Vortec ,18000 Miles.Does anyone have a catalitic converter on back exhaust system? The only one that I have found is Gale Banks, the product looks nice but they are mighty proud of their work!$650.00 Is a cat back system worth installing? Would the Computer need to be reprogramed?

Thanks
Rob
Old 11-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

I had the exact same truck.....the goo news is they have true dualls all the way to the muffler! That means dual cats too! So what i did after not finding any cat-backs that i liked or thought were too expensive, was to go to a local custom exhaust shop......they made me a custom duall exhaust with an x-pipe for $300 all the way out the back and two chrome tips. I personally went a bit too large with 3" tubes and it "popped" a little on hard accerleration. if i did it again i would go with the 2.5"

And no you wont need to reprogram the computer...as long as everything else is still stock, like the air filter and exhaust manifolds....all you will need to do is dissconnect the compuet for 10-15min and it will re-learn everything about the truck and your driving habbits.....it may actually feel a little peppier when you clear the computer out too!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Wally I new that you had a similar truck.I am the guy that had the Billet TRS Drive shower a couple years ago.

Rob
Old 11-05-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dual Exhaust:

It will help with the big blocks. I would also look into Hypertech programmer; I have used Hypertech on 2 of my F bodies-350 cid and the results were very noticeable.

Wannabe
Old 11-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a full custom cat back made by a good esxhaust guy and have a flowmaster installed for half the price or less.Check around and make some calls before buying out of a catalog.Also magna flow makes a real good stainless cat back system.The computer does not need reprograming because the o2 sensor only monitors emissions at or before the cat and not after.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey JJONES, are you the KoolAid guy? He is right even if he was a mass murder. I had one made for my Dodge Ram for $250. That included the glass pack (instead of muffler) and it worked great. I had a K&N filter but that is it. No other mods were needed. It was dual from the cat back and went out the sides at the back. The ones that go straight out the back look goofy. Cut the tips on an angle like NASCAR It is also cool in the winter to have the steam blow out the sides