How long before bottom fouling...Gulf of Mexico >

How long before bottom fouling...Gulf of Mexico

Notices

How long before bottom fouling...Gulf of Mexico

Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default How long before bottom fouling...Gulf of Mexico

I am bringing my freshwater Formula to the Gulf of Mexico/Pensacola. It will normally be in a lift at my dock/boat house.
If I do a few days of hopping around Florida and overnighting...how many days before I need to get her out of the water to clean the hull?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will be fine for a couple weeks; especially if you are running the boat each day. Just make sure your Mercathode is operating correctly, and you have the proper zincs for salt water.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just make sure your Mercathode is operating correctly, and you have the proper zincs for salt water.
Thanks...where do I find out about and test Mercathode and do you know the location of (the right) zincs on a Formula 311 with Bravos?
Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

https://boatzincs.com/ is where I bought all of my stuff over the years.

And I know the Mercathode testing and diagnostics has been covered here on OSO in the past; should come up in search.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't know how severe the fouling properties are of the waters you're going to venture in are but I do know that where I am it's awful to the point that many paint manufacturers do secret testing out here. And the level of fouling varies with the seasons as well . We have no fresh water runoff areas or rivers draining into the water so it's extremely salty as well.
Based on what I've seen here 4 days is stretching it but your individual results may vary

The zinc anode advice is good too . I believe that Merc now recommends the aluminum anodes for salt water , unlike the old days where zincs were zinc . And make sure they're properly grounded as well , otherwise they're useless.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine was just at ft Myers beach for 4 days. No issues. Also wouldn’t hurt if you’re going to be in marinas to grab the grouper looking anode that attaches right to battery as extra caution.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Available thru Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I've had my unpainted hull in salt many at time for up to 8 days w/o any growth beyond the typical scum line.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
Mine was just at ft Myers beach for 4 days. No issues. Also wouldn’t hurt if you’re going to be in marinas to grab the grouper looking anode that attaches right to battery as extra caution.
We were also in the water in Fort Myers Beach for 4 days. Like to meet you sometime.