Notices

Crestliner 26 Rampage

Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crestliner 26 Rampage

Any info on Crestliner 26 rampage would help. Found a project boat. Nice lines yet I know nothing about them nor can I find much info on the web. Looks like it could be a bit of a lead sled!
Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Back around 1970 Jim Wynne did a series of hulls for Crestliner called the 'Crusaders'. A 17 , a 19 and a 24 . At that time I think that Crestliner was trying to branch out into glass production as well as their established aluminum small boat line that was in keeping with where the market was going with small sport boats.
I spent a whole lot of time on one of the 24s and a 19 footer. There wasn't anything particularly standout about their construction compared to the boats that they were in direct competition with on a class for class basis but they were very , very nice designs . With 24 degree bottoms . lots of flare and ample freeboard they felt like larger boats than they were.
Like many builders who went to 'exotic designers' for a sport boat line , once they got comfortable with what they were doing (prime example Wellcraft with the Nova and Scarab line) they did in house redesigns themselves for bigger boats. I believe this is how the Rampage came about , still based on the lines of original Jim Wynne hull.
If it was me I'd pay close attention to things like deck corings and plywood floors with carpet glued on them.
Even if everything is 100% good it still isn't going to be a rocket by today's standards but the performance overall will be very satisfying .
Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Be picky, when picking a project.

Here's a thread, about the Rampage 2655, that you might have seen here on OSO Mike?

Rear preformance boat

A great family cruiser, of better quality in your area, would probably be a late '80s Limestone 24

by Hinterhoeller Yachts, St. Catharines, ON. A friend just found one here in California and she loves

the choppy sea and big swells of the Pacific in the afternoon. Fantastic boats that are future classics.

Magazine cover photo, courtesy of my friend Dave.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Those Hinterhoellers are very nice little boats. There's a 24 raised deck out here that has held up very well over the years . Classic C R Hunt lines.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Registered

That is a great looking boat. Not quite what I’m after though. Thanks for the info. I’m going to look at the Rampage on Tuesday. I’ll keep you posted
Old 10-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mike Black
That is a great looking boat. Not quite what I’m after though. Thanks for the info. I’m going to look at the Rampage on Tuesday. I’ll keep you posted
Crestliner used to pump a lot of foam into the areas under the floor outboard of the stringers all the way to the transom. This would often not only block up the aft limber holes in the stringers but the foam was succeptable to absorbing water that would in time lead to stringer , floor and transom rot. Be very wary as you should with any boat of this vintage !
Old 10-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tip. I will check it over as best I can. I am expecting a bunch of glass work is needed to bring her back into shape. Just not sure how much work I want to take on right now.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

Best of luck tomorrow Mike. Hope she's even better than you envisioned. Bringing up another boat, in case you'll be looking around some more, that was built with great care and based on the legendary Carrera SS8M offshore racing hull. The boat is the Cobalt 269 Condurre. These are pretty rare, only about 30 made, but the 25 degree transom deadrise make them ride wonderfully and they got a nice cabin for a sport boat.