Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what boat factories visited? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36355-what-boat-factories-visited.html)

LadySunseeker 11-05-2002 07:00 PM

I think Eli went out of business. I did a series entitled "A Legacy of Thirteen" for Long Island Boating World like back in 93. I met with most of the 13 builders on Long Island and visited most of the factories. It was quite an education. At that time, Long Island had the highest per capita number of boat and engine builders in the country believe it or not.

Most of the builders went out of business or moved. Remember that Tom Fexis design that Cape Dory was going to introduce? Two hulls and decks sat unfinished and uncovered in Boat Land for years before Pauli bought it for SeaRay.

"Time stands still, if only for a moment. Let me go back to the days of my youth. Let me understand the wind, the sails, the water, the tide....." Page one of my novel entitled "Tide Pools."

Jennifer

THEJOKER 11-05-2002 07:20 PM

boat whore

Dean:

Yea since 1998 performance boats have taken over my life - haha. When I visited Spectre I could not believe they built those awesome cats in that tiny building (they've moved now) and the first Cigarette trip I thought I was going to pass out I was so excited. Pantera was the cleanest and Fountain by far the largest factory I've been in. Sonic had tons of big boats being built and Warlock had tomatoe cans everywhere. I could not figure out what was the deal. As I got smarter about boats I figured out they have no wet out systems, chopper guns or anything. They pour the resin in the tomatoe cans , add the mek and the resin has to kick off. I guess that's why Warlock has practically no hull problems. I'll shut up now............BH

Wild 11-05-2002 07:33 PM

Active Thunder
Fountain
Cigarette
Reindl
MTI

TNT
OSO

LadySunseeker 11-05-2002 07:54 PM

Re: boat whore

Originally posted by PWRBOATTOURS
Dean:

Warlock had tomatoe cans everywhere. I could not figure out what was the deal. As I got smarter about boats I figured out they have no wet out systems, chopper guns or anything. They pour the resin in the tomatoe cans , add the mek and the resin has to kick off. I guess that's why Warlock has practically no hull problems. I'll shut up now............BH

You forgot the paint rollers!

Donzi Corleone 11-05-2002 08:17 PM

DONZI..Not as extravagent as I thought it would be,but gorgeous boats take you to a new level.
SPECTRE..Yeah,It`s small but packs a punch when u see those cats roll out.....Jay proves you don`t need some state of the art facility to produce a high end product.:D :)

BillR 11-06-2002 06:47 AM

I've only been to PowerQuest and Active Thunder. Both were much smaller that I thought they would be.

C_Spray 11-06-2002 07:26 AM

Bobby Moore (Now T'n'T)
Old T'n'T on US 1
CMI (headers) - crowded, but very cool
CORSA - Fantastic operation
Formula - Two thumbs up - spectacular.
Eliminator - Also very nice, but smaller.
Ebbtide - Very, very nice runabouts.
Tempest
Cigarette
Marada (Armada)

Hmmm.... More than I thought. :)

xconn92 11-06-2002 07:36 AM

I have only been to one ------ OUTERLIMITS.

It was not what I expected at all, very unassuming. You would never know that they build some of the world's finest offshore boats there just by casually driving by. It is tucked away in little old Bristol, RI. :cool:

nitro 11-06-2002 09:36 AM

Skater, Eliminator, DCB, Warlock, Phantom,Hallett, Howard, Cigarette, Apache, SeaRay, Nordic, Magic/Sleekcraft, MTI, Htm, Sanger, Cole, Curtis Craft, Lavey Craft, Ultra, Advantage, Kachina, Carrera, Schiada

Lots of variety, some great, some not so great, ALL FUN!

Lou502 11-06-2002 11:21 AM

cigarette , apache , donzi , powerplay , chris craft , tiara,marada ,