Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats >

Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats

Notices

Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats

Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Wasn't there a connection between Checkmate and Hustler? Seems like I remember something but then again sometimes I can't remember my middle name.

Padraig
Old 11-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Wasn't there a connection between Checkmate and Hustler? Seems like I remember something but then again sometimes I can't remember my middle name.

Padraig
https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...tler-checkmate
You were right! 2013
Old 11-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

This is definitely a sad situation. I bought my first brand new boat in 1995 and went to the Checkmate factory to pick it up. I still like the old school look and have been looking for a Checkmate project for outboard conversion. Indy is 100% correct when he says that people would rather stick their faces in front of a screen as opposed to experience the real world. Ask the motorcycle dealers, golf pro shops and almost everyone else that's involved in any sport. The youth of today would rather play it on a video game or watch it on a screen. Sad.
I hope someone picks up the Checkmate ball and runs with it but I am realistic. I know there is a huge gap between a cool boat and being profitable.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Bought a leftover 2000 Checkmate 259 new in 2002. My first boat purchased. Owned it for seven years, great boat! Sad to see the doors close, they made a rock solid product.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Lead,Follow , or get out of the way. Sad but true.

The market is Center Consoles in the sport boat market , problem is most of the current offshore hulls are to narrow for a CC for today’s market.

Not o mention they are Light years behind the big time CC builders that are leading the market .
They could have converted to CCs
Old 11-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
They could have converted to CCs
True but the real money making market in CCs is 30 feet and above and a old school 8 foot wide hull isn’t going get anybody excited about the cockpit space.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:56 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza

True but the real money making market in CCs is 30 feet and above and a old school 8 foot wide hull isn’t going get anybody excited about the cockpit space.

Up and down east coastal on fire with sales and most 3 to 5 outboards installed. West coastal not at all the situation for CC boat sales

Inland America not so much either. Pontoon and wake boats by far are on fire with sales.. Wake boats are on fire inland just killing it.. And do I mean on fire. Malibu sells more boats than all combine boats with mercruiser engines in them for the past 5 years - year vs year sales..

Think about that - one wake boat manu selling more than anything all combine Mercruiser installed in what 200 different brand of boats.. That is a hard pill to swallow for the I/O production sides of the coin.

To add wake boats are so strong that 2 wake boat companies OWN THE ENGINE companies not the other way are around. That's saying a lot

Last edited by BUP; 11-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Up and down east coastal on fire with sales and most 3 to 5 outboards installed. West coastal not at all the situation for CC boat sales

Inland America not so much either. Pontoon and wake boats by far are on fire with sales.. Wake boats are on fire inland just killing it.. And do I mean on fire. Malibu sells more boats than all combine boats with mercruiser engines in them for the past 5 years - year vs year sales..

Think about that - one wake boat manu selling more than anything all combine Mercruiser installed in what 200 different brand of boats.. That is a hard pill to swallow for the I/O production sides of the coin.

To add wake boats are so strong that 2 wake boat companies OWN THE ENGINE companies not the other way are around. That's saying a lot
Yup I saw it first hand at our dealership back in 2005. We couldn't give away the 4 or 5 2004 Baja leftovers we had left but our brand new Malibu's , Moomba's and Supra's we couldn't even keep in stock. Just selling themselves basically. Flashforward to 2019 and the Wake boat sales has slowed down for us but the bottom line is they still sell.
I had quite a few $100k Wakeboat demo's that I got to use , they are great for partying on and riding behind obviously but I would still rather drive my 18 year old Baja anyday.

I dont get it , Wakeboats are a complete bore to drive. And considering most people who buy them are beginner Wakesurfers/Wakeboarders at best, why would a Guy spend that kind of money on a Boat that rides ****ty in any sort of chop and tops out at 42 MPH. I guess just to "look cool".
Old 11-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Hustler bought them a couple of years ago?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

I struggled w/that when I sold Malibu’s back in the early/mid 90’s.
Then it dawned on me.
Skiers, like fisherman, are not boaters.
When they finish skiing/fishing they load the boat and go home.
Their boat is merely a tool to them

I was an avid slalom skier in that same era.
Normally 3 trips per wk.
I was a boater that skied though.
We’d ski till tired, take a break, then spend the rest of the day on the water.

When at the factory they always told me times were good but when watching their staff.., I questioned it.

On the CC’s, they built a nice 25’ that they took to the Miami show but still had it 6 months later.

They also tooled and built their twin O/B 25’ and don’t think they sold it.
Was nicely done but looked like a quickly done deck mold for an old Baja hull design.

Appeared to me as a distant, rudderless plant being funded by Hustler w/little direction or future plans in place.

If I was 35 again, I’d go to the bank.
Should have 15 yrs ago when one of the owners sons called me about it then.

I still think a we’ll designed cuddy would sell.
IMO, never been done right. Ever.
Ive owned more than anyone I know, and w/the new O/Bs available, me being an O/B guy, the new mini vans can tow them......, if I built them, they would come.

A 25’ w/a single 250 would run 60’s, Store 2 bikes, weekend supplies etc, and make mamma happy.
A 450 would run 80,
Twin 350’s 90+.

A 30’ would do the same w/way more space.

A name/legend reborn.

Just sayin....

Originally Posted by CT River Baja
Yup I saw it first hand at our dealership back in 2005. We couldn't give away the 4 or 5 2004 Baja leftovers we had left but our brand new Malibu's , Moomba's and Supra's we couldn't even keep in stock. Just selling themselves basically. Flashforward to 2019 and the Wake boat sales has slowed down for us but the bottom line is they still sell.
I had quite a few $100k Wakeboat demo's that I got to use , they are great for partying on and riding behind obviously but I would still rather drive my 18 year old Baja anyday.

I dont get it , Wakeboats are a complete bore to drive. And considering most people who buy them are beginner Wakesurfers/Wakeboarders at best, why would a Guy spend that kind of money on a Boat that rides ****ty in any sort of chop and tops out at 42 MPH. I guess just to "look cool".

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 11-03-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.