Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats >

Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats

Notices

Sad news for Checkmate Powerboats

Old 11-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 71 Posts

I cant believe they did not own their building. I would have to think that with their manufacturing setup, a landlord would have to know how hard it would be for them to move and would be able to gouge them on every lease. Of course, that only works until they close their doors, and no one leases the building. But still...
Old 11-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Why matters little, just sad to see a long time performance boat manufacturer go away. I started my life long sick obsession for performance boats at the age of 13 in a Checkmate 13 MX with a 35 Merc. It was a black, charcoal and silver metal flake beauty that I washed cars for my Dad , he had a car dealership, for quite a few years to pay for. It was my number one, the current Fountain is number 17 if I count right. Thank You Checkmate for giving me a lifetime of passion for this sport.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts

There are several buildings on the same property.
In the hey day they occupied all of them.

When times slowed I think they leased out the rear buildings.
They always had old molds stored around those rear buildings even when it appeared they were leased by others.
Id find it hard to believe that the Combs didn’t own that property based on that.

15 or so yrs ago when times turned, they moved the boat production to the rear buildings which you couldn’t see from the road and lead to the first claims that “Checkmate closed!”
I know because I debated those stories many times, as a local and knowing they were still in production.

They leased the front buildings, by the road, to others.

Did Bill sell the property or part of it to buy time???
Dont know but he struck me as a smart guy and that wouldn’t surprise me one bit.
Smart play if you think about it....

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I cant believe they did not own their building. I would have to think that with their manufacturing setup, a landlord would have to know how hard it would be for them to move and would be able to gouge them on every lease. Of course, that only works until they close their doors, and no one leases the building. But still...
Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts

Another tid bit.

When times were good, and they were attempting to enter the larger boat market, they bought/leased/rented another building in town for the larger boats.
They were building all boats 25’ and larger there.

I think it only lasted a few yrs and I think was the beginning of the end.
Not sure if they were over extended (again, not going to question one B. Combs) or it was market shift, economy etc.

Sad though, how fast some throw them under the bus for failing.
Answer this question.

How many Hi Perf boat co’s do we know that stuck to their guns and survived 50+ yrs??
Not many.

Another question for experts.

How many really smart, well funded business men have invested in/bought a boat building co. and went down in flames??
Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Bucyrus isn’t a bustling town, I wonder what the land lord thinks they can bring into that plant.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Anyone have photos of the place present and past?
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I always like the lines of the ZT330. I wonder if they still have those molds??
Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

So sad, another local icon going out of business. Good people out their, hate to see them all lose their jobs.

I know a lot of the lead time issues they had were waiting on motors from Merc. Evey time I stoped in they had boats built waiting to be rigged.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 812 Likes on 345 Posts

What motors were they waiting on? Were they building everything with a 400r? Can’t imagine Merc is that far behind on 150-300hp motors.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by justintocars
So sad, another local icon going out of business. Good people out their, hate to see them all lose their jobs.

I know a lot of the lead time issues they had were waiting on motors from Merc. Evey time I stoped in they had boats built waiting to be rigged.

If they weren't building boats, nobody was working there anyway. On the "motor issues" they can finish hulls and just bolt the OB on after the boat actually sold. No reason to mount the motors to boats that aren't sold and layout the cash for the motor in the meantime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.