Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction? >

Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction?

Notices

Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction?

Old 02-02-2021, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

What is your number MVD?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
What is your number MVD?
573-342-3400. I would be happy to talk with you this afternoon if that works for you.Thank you.
573-342-3400
Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

My Cig was CG doc when I got it. I transferred to OK reg because the local PoPo are mostly clueless and I didn't want to get pulled over all the time for having no numbers.
There could be some drinking going on and did not need the hassle.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

My boat was documented and someone let it expire. Another owner registered it with the state of KY. I renewed the documentation last year. Took the documentation to the clerks office and wow... They had no clue what to do... I showed them this.

At first they wanted to junk my KY title. Not a good solution because if I or someone else registers it with KY, good chance you would have to back pay taxes.
After speaking with several people, I got it (basically) straightened out. I still have the title but they have it in the system where I don’t pay personal property tax on it.
I do file a tangible tax form every year.

Yes there is a note that says states may require a boat to be registered with the state but... how can you register with the state if law says a vessel may not be titled by the state?

I done it all on my own. Really easy actually. Now I don’t have ugly numbers on the sides of my boat and the state gets less of my money. Documentation cost $25 a year.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

With my big boat, I chose to Federally document with the USCG, because it was easier to demonstrate that it was not housed at my primary residence; which saved me significant sums of money in County Personal Property Tax. If locally registered in the state, registration would need to be mailed and list my home address. And that would automagically dump into the County's tax database. I had receipts demonstrating that I paid for storage for the majority (required) of the year out of state; which negated the County's ability to tax the boat.

SOME states require the boat to still have a State Sticker on either side of the bow, even when Federally documented; just not registration numbers. Virginia does not.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

How it was re-titled in KY is the weird one. The HIN if run it should show up as Documented, and this is why KY most likely found it. IMO (MVD would be better opinion maybe) so the KY title is void anyway as in not valid. Many decide not to keep paying the fee and manage to get a state title/registration. The trouble comes about when selling it to another and the Doc is found. If there was a lien and not cleared then even more problems.

Some here in KY Doc in other states to save money, and like all those things its all legal until they get caught. I Doc my boat years ago in KY to save money, but they KY changed the laws so now also file the tangible tax yearly. No money saved after paying the USCG fee

Old 02-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
How it was re-titled in KY is the weird one. The HIN if run it should show up as Documented, and this is why KY most likely found it. IMO (MVD would be better opinion maybe) so the KY title is void anyway as in not valid. Many decide not to keep paying the fee and manage to get a state title/registration.
I don’t don’t know the full history but someone let the documentation expire. It was bought out of state, then registered in KY. I bought it from the guy that registered it in KY. $80ish for the document renewal last year and now I get to pay the $24-$25 annual fee.

Never had a lean on it so that won’t be a problem.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

Here is an older thread that may help in clarification. I noticed there is a number of threads MVD has posted over the last couple of years that answer numerous facets of the documentation process. Click on the name to the left on your screen and then click on posts.

Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel
Old 02-02-2021, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten

Never had a lean on it so that won’t be a problem.
Has anyone check if there was a lien before and cleared?
Can use the site below to enter HIN, or Doc number, to see status
https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Has anyone check if there was a lien before and cleared?
Can use the site below to enter HIN, or Doc number, to see status
https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx
Searched and browsed the history.
The options and listed items do not contain “lien” anywhere.

I do know that I do and did not have a lien on it, as well as the previous owner.
The following users liked this post:
AllDodge (02-02-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.