Notices

S-27 flip in Key West

Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

In post 1 from Jupiter Sensation, you can see 2-17 start to blow over in the Stb canopy window of S-27... So to see both boats parallel + vertical, S-27 blew over in a heartbeat,

At least everyone is going home.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
In post 1 from Jupiter Sensation, you can see 2-17 start to blow over in the Stb canopy window of S-27... So to see both boats parallel + vertical, S-27 blew over in a heartbeat,

At least everyone is going home.

Yeah I saw that "oh sh!!ttttttt" moment too! Glad everyone is ok but this event tells me that I don't want to ever run those small cats at their limits especially in an open cockpit design. A full 5/6 seater blowing over at triple digit speeds wouldn't have a happy ending
Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe they said that the bottle was secure but the crash broke the mount right off the boat.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Must of been a strong gust of wind to send both boats over together
Wasn't the wind that caused them to go over at same time. It was a pretty calm day concerning the wind. I asked Rusty Williams (PBC) what the deal was and he said when the boats came together so close the air couldn't escape from the tunnels and that's what brought them over at the same time.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Wasn't the wind that caused them to go over at same time. It was a pretty calm day concerning the wind. I asked Rusty Williams (PBC) what the deal was and he said when the boats came together so close the air couldn't escape from the tunnels and that's what brought them over at the same time.
Not sure if I buy into that explanation. These guys race next to each other all the time and I t has never happened before. With that being said I have no answers either.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Not sure if I buy into that explanation. These guys race next to each other all the time and I t has never happened before. With that being said I have no answers either.
Just relaying what another driver in the race that is buddies with the guys involved said they felt the cause was. All is fine until they are right on top of each other and then liftoff. Was definitely not a gust a wind. I thought they may have both packed water from a roost in front of them as they had already passed me on the mole. I didn't know what else would have caused both to lift off at the same time. Crazy deal. Just glad all are OK including the Hammerhead guys.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 67 Posts

https://ww.speedonthewater.com/in-th...-when-cats-fly

This article from Speed on the Water explains what caused the two boats to flip at the same time.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NWfreerider

This article from Speed on the Water explains what caused the two boats to flip at the same time.
Thanks for the story link!
Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yep, the lift under the boats increased when they were side by side.

Race cars side by side experience more wind resistance due to a high pressure area forming in front of them. In the case of these cats, the high pressure pushed the bows up.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by NWfreerider

Not a great explanation, but they have an idea what’s going on at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.