So my take on the key west races

Notices

So my take on the key west races

Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts
Default So my take on the key west races

i have been coming to Key west for 12 years for the poker run and races, this year was epic as far as the cool ass boats for the poker run.
as far as the races not so much, i have a suite at the Hyatt that has two balconies and an amazing view of the start and last turn, always been a great place to be.

This year the races are under a different group and even thou it was great being here if i was just coming for the races i think i would be way disappointed. spending twice what a normal room would cost for this was a waste, The best part of the races so far is looking at the few boats at the street party

The poker run on the other hand was over the top and i didn't even have a boat here this year.

From what i understand the new group has a 5 year contract so hopefully they do better job for the races net year,

i sure won't be getting a suite next year
Old 11-09-2019, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

What was not good enough in the race in your opinion? The number of class? The number of boats in each class? The lack of competition? The delay between each races? Or else?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
What was not good enough in the race in your opinion? The number of class? The number of boats in each class? The lack of competition? The delay between each races? Or else?
all of the above
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

This is my first year not going in 20 years but I have followed the rwo deal since it started and watched the last 2 races on livestream. It definitely seems like amateur hour. The announcer sounds like he’s never been to a boat race before ever! The new announcing the winners after every race sounds like a wrestling announcer. Larry bleil is a mix between a used car salesmen and a politician. His resume says he has put on races for 10 years as CROPRA. But all that was ,was a sticker they gave you at the drivers meeting by SBI at a race put on by SBI. CROPRA was nothing more than some business men who wanted to help promote the race to help there business.
He has begged and pleaded to get boats to go to KW. He is offering free hotel rooms and free towing and guaranteeing purses even with one boat in the class. If you look at the field of boats right now half of the teams don’t have a regular race program. The super cat ,superstock and Simmons are it. That’s part of the reason a lot of the other boats can’t finish a race. Sherrif LObo is there from Trinidad running unopposed,the Baja in p6 is unopposed. The boat in p5 that showed up yesterday is unopposed. The wix boat in p3 is unopposed and barely runs. The huski chocolate boat doesn’t run. The freedom fountain runs on one engine and was never competitive racing super v let alone unlimited with crc.
Sorry for the long rant. It could have been a great turnout if Larry kept his word and joined with OPA or of key west wasn’t lied to and they awarded Opa the contract.
One more thing. When he started RWO it was supposed to be all about safety and canopy boats only. Now he’s begging any boat to show up even class 6.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 240 Likes on 127 Posts
Default :)

My first year.
I still am enjoying all that I can.
Will admit the racing and races pale in comparison to the few others I have seen over the years.
An event and a sight to see for us, but seeing the races themselves leaves a lot to be desired.
Poker run, their boats, street party, and spectical are amazing.
Seeing 3 cats blow over right in front of the crowd and crews all good afterwards was a sight but the couple races with 2-3 mismatched boats
Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If you were paying any attention to the sport this year, you really cant say this was unexpected....

What I do find surprising is that they had the boat count they did.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No doubt many of the teams with OPA remember what OSS did to the sport when they pulled this stunt .
So they are not fooled this time.
for others its an opportunity at a participation trophy .
I keep watching hoping it will get better .
maybe a true proffesional communication group can be found soon,
o the next four years will be long ones for Key West fans,
Just my take.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
No doubt many of the teams with OPA remember what OSS did to the sport when they pulled this stunt .
So they are not fooled this time.
for others its an opportunity at a participation trophy .
I keep watching hoping it will get better .
maybe a true proffesional communication group can be found soon,
o the next four years will be long ones for Key West fans,
Just my take.
The irony that the “ Boycotter” went to Clearwater this year for Larry. My philosophy in life is a bad day at the boat races is better than a good day at work. With that said what a joke key west is this year. Thank god for the poker run boats. Luckily we just come to the Worlds to party with a great group of people. Larry has made John look like a genius...
Old 11-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete ,I have to agee .
I didn't bother to go this year .
maybe run into you again sometime
Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone been watching the great racing in Cat O/B and Super Cat? I don't remember great racing in P class in KW anytime in my 24 years down here. Unlimited class usually does not have close racing either.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.