Why so many O/B cats for sale >

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Notices

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Old 11-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 44MTI
Randy had 10-11 deposits in KW and he said he planned to have all of them delivered by Aug. I believe he had a couple hulls already in St. Louis
that’s astonishing to be honest and so isn’t that delivery schedule .
Old 11-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll take 60MPH in a V hull over 130MPH in a small cat any day! Also $300k for a small cat boat no thanks peace!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is the 450 motors are only available to OEM. My Mercury dealer shows Zero available to him. So that would limit the re-power market in the short run.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Like cars, people who have the money to change their toys when a new model comes out, will continue to do so. This is an expensive hobby and i suspect many owners of high end boats are pretty wealthy people. The cost to change over to the 'new model' is not a deal breaker.

For many of us, the only way to buy a toy of this caliber is to wait a few years for the second hand market to produce something. The longer we wait, the more the prices will drop and buyers will buy when they can afford to. A reverse auction.

If I had the money to buy a new boat and update every two years, I'd certainly be doing it. Good luck to those that are in such a position and for those who are dreaming about a second hand one, you're definitely not alone, that's where I am.

Just my silly opinion,
RR.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
Actually i'm told its more work and all new electronics and wiring so it's not just a unbolt and rebolt situation so it's not really very cost effective to switch a 400 boat to a 450 boat.
My theory was and is that the 400 boats will get sold off and people who want the latest and greatest power will upgrade the boats because to sell a 400 boat and upgrade to a new 450 boat is probably close to the same $ as it would take to re rig the original boat with 400's and switch it to 450's
Its really mostly plug & play if switching from the Verado platform. I have a 400r and have already checked into a 450, other than the price, its pretty much an easy swap. However, when I went from a Verado 300 to the 400r it was a difference of $10k approx with my trade. The 450 would cost an additional $20-25k over the 400r, so Im waiting for the 500 to stay with my 100hp increment upgrades, just to keep it even. Lol
Old 11-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Can I ask a question- why are people calling the new MTI 390 a game changer? What am I missing?
That phrase is so over used and meaningless!!

​​​​​​Doug Wright has a 42' that ran in the the 120s. Is the new mti much different, i doubt it.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So what schmuck is going to buy the $400K under-powered undersized (compared to the new one) two year old boat. I'm making a joke but I know you talk about "guys with that kind of money" a lot, but guys with that kind of money would just buy the latest and greatest am I wrong? If you have $400K to blow on a boat you have $500-600K to blow on a boat right? I think $400K is still WAY out of reach for the average performance boat buyer. I was going to post this same thing a couple months ago when I noticed how many one year old OB Cats were for sale, I was thinking how many are there it appears all of them are for sale. I ran into this same thing with Cars, once you got to a certain level in price, you got to a point in the market where anyone who could afford the one year old one, could afford a new one...makes it VERY difficult to get anything close to what you want on the one year old one unless demand for delivery is just insane. I'm one of those people who just does not understand the appeal of OB performance boats no matter how hard I try, I saw a bunch go by me in Key West this year and it did nothing for me, then an IO would fire up at the docks and I would go from six to midnight. I really want to like them I just don't, it's not for everyone I guess. The hulls look amazing but it's like electric dragsters...super impressive but the noise and smell is half of the experience for me.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by gotime34
So what schmuck is going to buy the $400K under-powered undersized (compared to the new one) two year old boat. I'm making a joke but I know you talk about "guys with that kind of money" a lot, but guys with that kind of money would just buy the latest and greatest am I wrong? If you have $400K to blow on a boat you have $500-600K to blow on a boat right? I think $400K is still WAY out of reach for the average performance boat buyer.
I wonder the same thing with the couple year bling bling CC's. But I assume they are selling? Not sure, not my group,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe when I hit the Lotto. LOL
Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I just can't get my hands around the fact that you back out the cost of $60K in outboards ( 400's ), and $25K for a trailer, and you're paying $315K for a 34' Hull ($400K average price used) lmao.. I was going to look into buying one for the ease of use / maintenance, but I think I'll wait for them to be priced more realistically for what they're worth.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 821 Likes on 347 Posts

Yup, I agree about the costs. The biggest reason the hobby is dying imo. Far be it for me to offer advice on what these manufacturers should charge for a boat, but even the used prices are way to high imo. It’s like a sport bike vs sports car comparison for me. I want to like them as well, and think they do have great appeal in the maintenance arena, but still don’t do enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.