Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Replace or reman existing 502 mags ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/364157-replace-reman-existing-502-mags.html)

smashm 12-08-2019 06:51 PM

Replace or reman existing 502 mags ?

Replace with reman or rebuild existing ?
47 Fountain with triple 502 mags, all stock.
Ingested water in the Port motor Friday & it now needs rebuilt. Oil is sludge & knocking. Went ahead & compression & leak tested other two today, starboard motor isn't healthy. Center motor passes all tests with flying colors. I see I can buy remans & have them quickly but not sure if I trust that.
I'm in FLA now, used to use a builder in Sandusky Ohio for our drag race engines & stock rebuilds for our shop. Thinking about trucking them to Ohio to be done just because I trust Griff's implicitly.
Are there any highly recommended that I can trust shops in FLA for stock rebuilds ? Thanx in advance.

Bajaorlando 12-09-2019 04:41 AM

If you want a top notch builder that does the best work I have seen go to express auto machine in DeLand.
great guys and it is always a great time when visiting their shop with all the top notch power plants they are working on.

TxHawk 12-10-2019 06:22 AM

Double check that reman availability. Lots of people advertise 502's and 496's but don't have them.

Wildman_grafix 12-10-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bajaorlando (Post 4717733)
If you want a top notch builder that does the best work I have seen go to express auto machine in DeLand.
great guys and it is always a great time when visiting their shop with all the top notch power plants they are working on.

One correction.

Its Express Engines in Deland. (386) 734-9302

ziemer 12-10-2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4717873)
One correction.

Its Express Engines in Deland. (386) 734-9302

Yep. Bruce Baker is great. All work done in house and he has a dyno. Very particular and doesn’t cut corners.

Griff 12-11-2019 01:05 AM

If its saltwater cooled, you may need a reman and yours may not be rebuildable.
If being on the water in a short amount of time is important, I'd buy 2 reman long blocks, then have yours gone through to have at least one ready as a spare.

Crude Intentions 12-11-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by smashm (Post 4717704)
Replace with reman or rebuild existing ?
47 Fountain with triple 502 mags, all stock.
Ingested water in the Port motor Friday & it now needs rebuilt. Oil is sludge & knocking. Went ahead & compression & leak tested other two today, starboard motor isn't healthy. Center motor passes all tests with flying colors. I see I can buy remans & have them quickly but not sure if I trust that.
I'm in FLA now, used to use a builder in Sandusky Ohio for our drag race engines & stock rebuilds for our shop. Thinking about trucking them to Ohio to be done just because I trust Griff's implicitly.
Are there any highly recommended that I can trust shops in FLA for stock rebuilds ? Thanx in advance.

if you’re in ft myers you have HRE hameetman racing engines in Cape Coral. Daryl is top notch.

Bruce at express is top notch also but HRE is close to home and the same quality.

smashm 12-13-2019 08:52 AM

Thank you for the responses, pulling the motors Monday here in my shop. I've been searching to find out how the water got in the crankcases of both engines. When I ramp the boat in, the moulded in swim platform is completely underwater which in turn puts the rear engines exhaust tips more than a foot under the surface. None of the spark plugs have any rust or signs of corrosion so can I assume the water did not get in through the exhaust ? But to be safe, I will be plugging the tips when I ramp it & removing the plugs before firing it up. I'm thinking possible oil coolers leaking internally or possible head or intake gaskets. Of course if it's a gasket problem, that will be taken care of during the rebuild. I just don't want to duplicate the problem with fresh motors, that would really suck.😳
Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanx. Harold

Tom A. 12-13-2019 11:10 AM

I run the simple exhaust flappers on mine and they help keep large surges out. Also, I have header drains that let any residual water in the header drain out after shut down. It's just simple rubber hoses connected to the header drains that connect to little through hull fittings next to the trim tabs.
I would highly recommend Innovation Marine in Sarasota to do your rebuilds. They do amazing work and will stand behind it. They rerigged and maintain my boat and I could not be happier.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6da4abf39e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...e5531cb88c.jpg

Crude Intentions 12-13-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by smashm (Post 4718277)
Thank you for the responses, pulling the motors Monday here in my shop. I've been searching to find out how the water got in the crankcases of both engines. When I ramp the boat in, the moulded in swim platform is completely underwater which in turn puts the rear engines exhaust tips more than a foot under the surface. None of the spark plugs have any rust or signs of corrosion so can I assume the water did not get in through the exhaust ? But to be safe, I will be plugging the tips when I ramp it & removing the plugs before firing it up. I'm thinking possible oil coolers leaking internally or possible head or intake gaskets. Of course if it's a gasket problem, that will be taken care of during the rebuild. I just don't want to duplicate the problem with fresh motors, that would really suck.😳
Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanx. Harold

I have a fountain and have no issues with water getting in at the ramp. I also run flappers over tips. When backing down the flappers keep water from entering. What ramp do you use?