Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   390 Nortech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/364176-390-nortech.html)

JaxBoiler 12-12-2019 09:26 PM

Great looking boat! You’re going to love it. Post some numbers when you get it broken in.

Very curious how much difference with trip 450’s.

NASCAT 12-13-2019 07:03 AM

Those are both great looking Nor-Tech's congrats to you both.
Really like the colors of your boat Erik. Timeless colors!

I believe the first NT-390 w/ triple 450's built ran 87mph.
The struggle w/ the 450's has been the water p/u's and the engines going into safe mode if they suck air.
I've even experienced it w/ my 350's in rough water at high speeds.

The main dash definitely becomes a space issue when someone opts for the larger screens. I find that I use the Vessel View to monitor engine performance, trim & tab more than the engine page on my screen thus me keeping it centered and in easy view.
The nice thing about the 22" screens is that you can create pages w/ quadrants and view several things at one time on each screen. Especially helpful boating at night if you have radar & or FLIR.

I have the JL Audio Bluetooth version of that remote, Can be located anywhere on the boat w/ dbl stick tape or velcro. I keep mine loose / in my pocket when anchored or docked so I always have access to it. Works perfect, never loses connection and it's waterproof. Like $80

As it relates to painted engines (Verado 350's & 400's) they are pretty BUT expect the paint to begin chipping off where the 2 halves of the lower unit meet on the backside of the engine. The edges rub and work against each other during use. Non-issue w/ the 450's base on the different cowl design.
You may wish to apply a 1" piece of clear tape ( something thicker, paint protection tape, not packing tape) which will help.
Better yet would be to have the paint shop color match paint a few 1 x 36" strips of vinyl (decal material) b/c I can tell you when I pull off the clear tape, some paint is going to come off w/ it. The clear also turns sooty looking from the exhaust.
You guys have a chance to do something in advance of use, mine was more of a corrective approach.

Keep the pics coming!!

GatorMD 12-13-2019 12:22 PM

Thanks Nascat,

Can you send a picture of the remote?

like you said, fortunately my motors are white from Mercury so hopefully will not have chipping issue. The exhaust soot and/or waterline will be the heavy maintenance part for aesthetics. Only paint will be on the midline panels. Side graphics are all vinyl as Nortech didn’t want to paint the side of the white motor.
where are you talking specifically to add the clear?

NASCAT 12-13-2019 12:38 PM

Sorry I lied, I have JL speakers but a Fusion head unit so it’s a Fusion MS-ARX70. Comes in white or black

Mentalpause 12-13-2019 02:25 PM

I have a fusion head unit. Didn't need a remote, just download their app to your phone which connects via bluetooth. Everything is available via your phone app, Plus you can stream from your phone. As far as your white engines, I've not had any problem with the fusion white from Merc chipping. My old 300s, which were painted white by NorTech did have a few minor chips. Water lines wipe right off, assuming you wax them now and then. Soot below the exhaust port doesn't wipe off as easy. I wipe mine off every time out, then apply a few drips of wax just under the exhaust port every time out. Takes no time at all. But eventually you will get a light yellowish stain mark just below the port that won't come out. It's not a big deal, it is barely noticeable once cleaned up.

erik1976 12-13-2019 03:31 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. Its called Iridium Silver.

Yes i'm flying down Dec 18 and staying at my house in Cape Coral until Jan 6. So it will be at the ramp first thing December 19.....

Unfortunately I still have my 34 down there too, not sold yet lol.

erik1976 12-13-2019 07:56 PM

Gator, tried replying to your pm but mailbox is full. Shoot me a text 705 four nine 91851

erik1976 12-13-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Southbrook (Post 4718001)
Very nice! My 18 has quad 4's but I would rather have the trip 450's. The first picture looks like the cut-outs are for the smaller Garmins with either a vessel view or radio cut out in the middle, then in later pictures it shows the larger Garmins. That's the set-up I have, larger Garmins on the dash and the radio is inside the console. I am thinking of adding a radio remote on the overhead panel - I don't like taking up a big screen for the radio & I feel like I'm constantly changing songs or the volume & switching screens to get back to the radio is a pain in the ass. My phone can change the song but does not adjust volume. Good luck with the rest of the build!

you should be able to add the stereo to a lower bar on the garmin. Then it just displays the song title, artist volume and track forward/back. Only takes 3/4” along the bottom (or top) of one screen.

erik1976 12-13-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by erik1976 (Post 4718366)
you should be able to add the stereo to a lower bar on the garmin. Then it just displays the song title, artist volume and track forward/back. Only takes 3/4” along the bottom (or top) of one screen.

you can kind of see it in this pic of my 34
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...5dfdcbae27.png

GatorMD 12-14-2019 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4718263)
Those are both great looking Nor-Tech's congrats to you both.
Really like the colors of your boat Erik. Timeless colors!

I believe the first NT-390 w/ triple 450's built ran 87mph.
The struggle w/ the 450's has been the water p/u's and the engines going into safe mode if they suck air.
I've even experienced it w/ my 350's in rough water at high speeds.
!

I heard similar #s but realistically expecting mid 80s if truly running hard. I’m sure the 400r with low water pickups also experienced this. So Nortech will only build the 450r boat with the mercury racing zero effort race controls and I’m assuming this plays into it? for the ability to throttle all the way down/slap down and back up when in some chop. Other reasons given was the boat was extremely torquey and they felt it safer to have these as opposed to “yacht style” throttles.

Can’t see why the 450r would be any different than 400r? Or is the water pick up much lower?