Notices

gellcoat work

Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 AM
check freak

Default gellcoat work

I am thinking about purchasing a 89 checkmate 240 Enforcer from a buddy of mine. It has a 454 mag, bravo drive with CMI's, intake and carb and a few other misc items. If you are familiar with checks, it seems that the older ones have a clear coat that does not hold up well if not properly taken care of. The clear coat is pealing and the glass is really oxidized. I would rate the glass in fair to poor condition. The hull is solid, but it needs some cosmetic work. I would take off all the hardware my self Does anyone know of a good place in Northern Indiana, Illinois or South Western lower Michigan that does good glass work at a decent price???? What type of money to get the glass reconditioned? What are mine options? We already tried buffing , doesn't help much.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:06 PM
critter3gitter

ever thought of painting it. most body shops should be able to.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

actually too old i'm in toledo ohio . . an thanks for the recomendation. check i am very familiar with the problem you are having . i just looked at a 280 with the same problem. the clear gel oxidized off all the metalflaked graphics. your best bet is to re-gel the areas where the flake is (any flake that cant be removed has to be burried to help to minimize the posibility of print through)and than to paint the entire boat . let me know if i can be of any help and i actually prefer to work with costomers that are willing to do the trim stuff. do you have any pics of the boat you can post or send?
Old 11-05-2002, 02:38 AM
check freak

glass,

How much do you think it would cost to fix these problems. A very rough estimate would be helpful. I know it is very hard to estimate without seeing the boat in person, but I would like to know before I buy the boat. If it is too expensive I will probably pass on the deal. I would really like to paint the entire boat and fix the problems area's (pealing gelcoat). There are also 2 spots on the bottom of the hull where you can see bare fiberglass. They are from the previous owner beaching the boat. I think they are about 1 inch wide and 2 or 3 inches long. I can't believe people do that. I guess its job security for you!!!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

well . . if i got the boat with all the trim off it would probably be somewhere in the $3500/4000 range. an thats for a very high quality finish. i cant remember exactly what the 24 chekmate looks like but if you would like a more accurate price call me and get some pics to me. cell # is 419-461-1484
Old 11-05-2002, 11:09 AM
check freak

glass,

I am working on getting some pics. Bare with me, I am at the mersey of the man with the digital camera. The 24 check is a pretty sleek boat for it's age. There is not much free board and it is nothing like the 251 convinsors. This boat is alot smaller. Would I have to take the outdrive of to get the boat painted. What about the decals?? If I decided to go with you, is this something that you could do over the winter??

Thanks so much for your help. This site rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2002, 11:18 AM
check freak

glass,

just curious, do you have any before and after pics of any older boats that you have done.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

hey check . . i was looking through my VAST archives of offshore memrobelia and i ran acrsoss an original sales brochure for 1988 checkmates. i was always a huge fan of the convincors. the out drive does not need to come off just all the stainless and hardware. yes i can fit it in this winter and i would most likley paint the script back on the boat under the clear , here's an example of a job i did a few years ago. (the cig logo is painted on)
Attached Thumbnails gellcoat work-cig1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

almost forgot to put the brochure pic up
Attached Thumbnails gellcoat work-checkpic.jpg  
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

i have some before and after pics but i need to scan them back in to my PC. i just recently deleted a bunch of files and this was one of a few pics i still have on my hard drive. i will see if i can get some more on.if you want to call and discuss it further use the cell# i posted earlier and call after 9:00PM ( free nights an weekends ) an your right . .this site is the best. there a few others but for true performance offshore boat'n this is the only place. sure the board gods hafta keep us in line once in a while but thats why this site is on top and all the best talent and people stay here. hope this info is help'n you out in your decision. . . oh . .an one more pic as long as im post'n
Attached Thumbnails gellcoat work-cig3.jpg  

Quick Reply: gellcoat work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.