Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O.T. Ford 6.0 TD (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36454-o-t-ford-6-0-td.html)

MitchStellin 11-06-2002 06:41 PM

O.T. Ford 6.0 TD

Does anyone know about this? I drove a 7.3 but hear the 6.0 is replacing the 7.3 this fall (now) Should I hold out for the 6.0? The 6.0 is rated at 345hp.

mrv8outboard 11-06-2002 06:50 PM

my navigator dove one last saturday. he has a 1999 250 superduty and his words were ,WOW! they are taking the truck to the local dealers to use for test drives. much quieter much more power. the engine is also lighter. i suppose so it can eventualy go in the f series chassis. he said it was really cool.

MitchStellin 11-06-2002 06:52 PM

Do you think it will cost more. **** it is already pushing 51k. If I could drive one I would.

boot 11-06-2002 11:03 PM

I would buy it . IN fact ,I am !!:D That motor was designed years ago and has had a few improvments done since .IT is already in use with UPS . The price is not much difference then the old ones .YOu should be able to get a loaded F350 for under $40k easy !

mrv8outboard 11-07-2002 06:39 AM

they say it is about 2k more. it has had the billion mile test. dodge is going with volvo penta engines and soon will no longer have cummings.

Jayl13 11-07-2002 08:02 AM

I just went to the dealer last night and the f350's with the 6.0 PSD are in production right now BUT it is going to take some time to get them out to the dealers and such.
I looked at a XLT FX4 Sport last night
What a bad ass MO FO truck
Crew cab, all the goodies and the 7.3 PSD
I love the sport, it is about time they did that in my opinion and I love the 4 leather bucket (lazy boy) captains seats with 2 consoles and heated seats in it as well.
Im stuck, I think im going to sell my trans am, sell my pickup and buy one but I think honestly im going to wait for the 6.0 for it comes with a 100 thou mile warranty on drive train standard from ford. That to me is worth some money, Also the 5 speed automatic compared to the 4 spd will definately make it more fuel efficient over the 7.3 predecessor.
(funny how trucks dont have estimated mileage)
I think the new 2003 F350 is definately the most bad ass they have made yet and I look forward to picking one up
The 2003 7.3 one I looked at yesterday stickered at 42800
with incentives and such would have been around 38 or so
(ouch!)
but in all fairness, they are cheaper than GM, stronger than GM and have the better look to them than the GM, (all my OPINION fellas)
I sat in that one last night and melted. It was incredible but let me tell you this mother is HUGE
22 feet long
God I have to sell my 98 Ram Air trans am to buy this too
what decisions in life ever make someone giddy?
this is going to suck but will definately be worth it
I hear the 6.0 is actually FAST out of the hole too??
Jason

CigDaze 11-07-2002 08:17 AM

Here you go, fellas:
This is an actual test review:
It has awesome pics and a lot of good info on the 6.0 and the new 5-speed auto...Look out Allison!

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003...ive/page1.html

Enjoy:cool: :cool:

MitchStellin 11-07-2002 08:22 AM

I took a 03 Excursion home last night. It was the Limited in the new mineral gray metalic. Man what a truck. I could live in this thing!!! I talked to the dealer this morning and he says the 6.0 would not be on the floor until Jan. - Feb. and that is just a guess, they think longer. I just can't wait for this. It was sad enough that I had to take it back. The Burb goes in Truck Trader today so we'll see. The Diesel.Com web site was unsure of the new technology with the Tranny. Most on the site liked the tried and true and wanted to wait until it was out for a while. This is the truck to end all trucks so I am not going to buy this and sell later to get the 6.0. What a *****. I am tired of these idiots changing things and making us wait or decide one way or the other. I really think I will stick with the 7.3. Plus this is the last year for the Ex so there is not a lot of choice here. The wife won't have a pickup no matter how many doors so this is a compromise I can livewith.:D I LOVE LOOKING DOWN ON CHEVY HD'S.:D

Neverfastenuf 11-07-2002 10:17 AM

Mitch, your decision is a tough one no doubt. In my 02, you really can't go wrong either way. The new 6.0 with the 55R transmission will be reliable. Ford has done extensive testing on the combos. Ask Joey. aka Audacity. International has had the 6.0 in the medium duty trucks for some time now and they are proving very reliable. If you decide to go with the 7.3, it is a proven platform, and should provide you with many, many miles of service. As far as performance, the 6.0 is touted to be more powerful and quieter, but the 7.3 is still no slouch. You drove one and sounds like you were impressed. It is, like I stated earlier,, a difficult decision, and opinions are going to vary even more so than on ones boat preference. If you can't wait for the 6.0, get the 7.3, you won't be disappointed

Budman 11-07-2002 12:36 PM

They are looking for fleet proveout drivers here at the plant (KTP) to take some of these trucks on extended test drives - 500+ miles per trip. I am considering helping out with this. If I do, I will post my impressions. I probably shouldn't even THINK about doing this - might make me want one too much!