Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I have a project - What shop would you recommend? >

I have a project - What shop would you recommend?

Notices

I have a project - What shop would you recommend?

Old 03-05-2020, 10:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have a project - What shop would you recommend?

So I have this 29 X-Flight that I want to do some upgrades to. Currently has this Bimini but it's a rattle-trap that catches air and shakes like crazy when you get into rough water. I am considering replacing the poles with a beefier permanent superstructure like you would find on a CC, and with either a hard top or very tight fabric. Then maybe adding some speakers and LED's to the top.

I may also replace the 525 that's in it with a spare Ilmor 710. I would also like to add a fabricated tubular swim platform extension like I have on my Comp. Also do some vinyl upgrades to the engine pad and interior and add some Sea-deck in places. Finally some minor paint touch-ups.

The boat is located at Lake Cumberland and I live in Indy. So where would you send her?

Last edited by Marginmn; 03-05-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill Kingery 6145452628 in Columbus. He puts on the party at the fall poker run. This seems right up his alley on a fun project, hes so bored on the day to day stuff.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tmmii View Post
Bill Kingery 6145452628 in Columbus. He puts on the party at the fall poker run. This seems right up his alley on a fun project, hes so bored on the day to day stuff.
I don't know Bill. What is his background if you don't mind me asking? Does his run a shop for a living or just take on projects?
Old 03-06-2020, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn View Post
I don't know Bill. What is his background if you don't mind me asking? Does his run a shop for a living or just take on projects?
runs a legit shop, has had a couple race boats in the process and loves the small tweaks. He is at the shop every day, but he loves different ****.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

A little further away but I would talk to Brit Lilly. He seems to put some amazing stuff out of his shop
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve Lopez, Legacy Marine, he's right by Cumberland
Old 03-06-2020, 06:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 27 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp View Post
Another vote for Steve Lopez.. Great guy, and very knowledgeable..
Old 03-06-2020, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BONDO10 View Post
Another vote for Steve Lopez.. Great guy, and very knowledgeable..
Originally Posted by Nykamp View Post
Thanks, do you have a contact number or link for them?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

If you want a really sound top structure, I would suggest getting it to the east coast, and have it fabricated like by someone who makes T-Tops for fishing boats and the like.

Also, we have an upholstery shop here outside of Richmond, VA that makes bimini tops like yours that he rates up to 70mph. They are made with stainless rods and hardware, not aluminum, and they are through bolted everywhere, not screwed. The key is is having tightening straps built into them. We had him make one for y_schmidt's (Yankey) pontoon boat, that has fore and aft tightening straps (webbing) that go down to the tops of the playpen. I think that you could potentially beef that one up by pulling it taught fore and aft; before you go deep into a new structure.

And last, if you go with a "structure" like T-Top or perhaps an arch with a bimini mounted within; be sure to have HINGED with quick remove pins. You don't want to have all that structure permanently up in the wind when towing. And most important, if you get onto a lake, (or perhaps sell to someone on a lake one day) that has fluctuating water levels and some low bridges; you want to be able to get under those bridges when the water levels are high. (We have some lakes like this on the east coast, Lake Norman in NC is one off hand).

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-06-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Pics of when we had the bimini on Yankey's pontoon remade, with the tightening straps. The back straps are attached. The front ones are loose in the pics. When we pull these tight, that top is so taught, you can bounce a quarter 2 feet high off of it.

There are also several adjustable straps INSIDE that sheath down the center of the bimini.

Beside it is a 37AT with one of the bimini tops I mentioned.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-06-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.