Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Opportunity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/365442-opportunity.html)

scarabman 03-23-2020 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4730370)
My buddy is a car dealer up north, Gov ordered sales side of dealerships closed, he laughed and said nobody was even looking to buy cars this week. Even huge dealerships are cutting staff on service side, nobody is bringing in cars. He expects to have a meeting Monday morning to figure out how many people get cut (could be 90)

Was just talking to a friend yesterday who is a Master Tech for a Caddy dealership (same owner for like 20 Caddy dealerships in multiple states), and his location layed off 15 service techs so far, and he is next on the list.

Wally 03-23-2020 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4730333)
Any thoughts on using ozone to kill covid-19? I found an article that said a 20 sec exposure would kill SARS which is a close cousin. I'm not talking about using it where people, plants or animals are present but more like the interior of a car overnight or an unoccupied dwelling that lends itself to being well ventilated afterwards. I know from experience it does eliminate odors.

Ive got an ozone generator at home. Used it multiple times to get smells out of the house after burning food or painting etc....used it plenty to take the funk out of a few cars in the past. The stuff works. I don't know how good it is against bacteria/viruses but i have read many of the same articles saying it kills them fast So i don't see why not use one. The one thing i will say is if you let it go too long and get the concentration up there then you can get some corrosion of cheap metals. I lent it to a buddy that had a mold problem in a bathroom. The machine i have does 10,000mg of ozone output and for small areas like a bathroom you only need it on for like 3-4 minutes. Instead of doing a few small rounds like they recommend, he just let the machine keep going for like an hour....it rusted all the hinges and screws on the vanity and medicine cabinet :D

Quinlan 03-23-2020 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1960brookwood (Post 4730296)
Installation and support for home based businesses. My millennial son in law is a process and manufacturing engineer and he seems to spend most of his time lately assisting the older folks who have never chosen to worked remotely.

My wife and I work for a large contract office furniture manufacturer and the thought is that our core business will literally need to change overnight. The wisdom of cramming lots of people close together in cubicles is likely to be challenged soon.

Which manufacture? Most are in Michigan that is true. We mostly do Herman Miller for a local dealer here, but have done most of them over the years.
I am an installation co in OK for 25 years now. It has slowed here but so far not shut down. My warehouses are getting full of chit people wont let us deliver yet though.

It is a different world now.

1960brookwood 03-24-2020 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Quinlan (Post 4730474)
Which manufacture? Most are in Michigan that is true. We mostly do Herman Miller for a local dealer here, but have done most of them over the years.
I am an installation co in OK for 25 years now. It has slowed here but so far not shut down. My warehouses are getting full of chit people wont let us deliver yet though.

It is a different world now.

Haworth. The company is playing it fast and loose with our State of Michigan shutdown. Trying to call stuff in the warehouse and manufacturing going to defense and the medical field critical and forcing people to work--most of that product will still be sitting in boxes and bulk packs in a warehouse with guys like you when this is over.

Jupiter Sunsation 03-24-2020 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by scarabman (Post 4730463)
Was just talking to a friend yesterday who is a Master Tech for a Caddy dealership (same owner for like 20 Caddy dealerships in multiple states), and his location layed off 15 service techs so far, and he is next on the list.

Tough call, the techs are paid on work done so if nobody is bring in cars then the techs are sitting on their tool boxes making zero anyway. The guy I know said he needs to cut the workers so they can start collecting unemployment. If he doesn't cut them, technically they still have a job...........can't collect.

Played golf with a dentist on Sunday. His office is closed, emergency stuff only. His staff wants to get paid but with zero revenue coming in that is tough to do for a solo dentist unless he wants to fund their wages with his own money. He expects to be slow even when things reopen, people will use any excuse to skip the dentist!

Italian restaurant I used to go to regularly closed Saturday. Owner has been in the business 30+ years. He closed the restaurant, told everyone (29 people) they no longer have jobs. He said "IF" he re-opens then it won't be until October since the summers in Florida are "no money seasons" and the restaurant will just bleed money until the snowbirds return. He said he rather stay home and work on his tan than lose his retirement hoping the restaurant comes back.

3 different industries (cars, healthcare, restaurants) all getting smoked. Normally not all three would get hammered at the same time (dentistry seems relatively recession proof, cosmetic stuff would cancel) but the group of 100+ employees are out of work, the cars/restaurants have zero chance of being hired on elsewhere. The dental staff will get back to work but its not like they will be able to get hired anywhere else either in the short term.

Craney 03-24-2020 05:12 PM

How do you think the real estate market will be?

Jupiter Sunsation 03-24-2020 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Craney (Post 4730683)
How do you think the real estate market will be?

Varies by region. Rates still low, inventory is fine but I think if someone has a job that was paused/eliminated they won't be buying anytime soon. I think areas like Las Vegas will get temporarily stalled. Boomers will likely still move towards retirement homes but their budgets might shrink in correlation to their 401K balances and moving might get complicated if their primary residence doesn't sell.

1960brookwood 03-24-2020 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1960brookwood (Post 4730583)
Haworth. The company is playing it fast and loose with our State of Michigan shutdown. Trying to call stuff in the warehouse and manufacturing going to defense and the medical field critical and forcing people to work--most of that product will still be sitting in boxes and bulk packs in a warehouse with guys like you when this is over.

And just that quickly things made an about face. Our governor set up a hotline for the working class that thought they were being unfairly classified by their employers.
Meeting at 11:00--mandatory work canceled and anyone free to leave immediately at the conclusion of the meeting. Sad to see that the monkeys running the circus have so little regard for the people on the front lines.

HabanaJoe 03-24-2020 07:40 PM

This is what we are doing https://oakmontenv.com/coronavirus-s...-ny-nj-ct-nyc/ it is short term as is every outbreak. The calls have not started yet but expect it pretty soon, it might be 2-3 months work then back to killing bed bugs! So if anyone along the East Coast is in need or is interested in selling the service short term to assisted living type places, people who just want their home "germ free" we do travel, we've gone to FL a few time - Thanks!

Keith Atlanta 03-24-2020 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4730333)
Any thoughts on using ozone to kill covid-19? I found an article that said a 20 sec exposure would kill SARS which is a close cousin. I'm not talking about using it where people, plants or animals are present but more like the interior of a car overnight or an unoccupied dwelling that lends itself to being well ventilated afterwards. I know from experience it does eliminate odors.

There is a company that has this technology in Florida but use UV and it is very effective. If you want details PM me.