Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
blower motor's and #6 drive maintenance? >

blower motor's and #6 drive maintenance?

blower motor's and #6 drive maintenance?

Old 03-29-2020, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor's and #6 drive maintenance?

hey guys! I'm looking to purchase a larger boat with 588 cubic blower motors and #6 wet drives. I understand with larger boats comes more expensive parts etc. I'm wondering what the maintenance schedule is on wet #6 drives ( what oil do you prefer to run and how often do you change it). Also same with the motors what do you guys do to keep your motors healthy thru out the season. example: plugs, top end adjustments, oils trying to figure out a maintenance schedule on my own so i do not need to constantly have the boat at a shop. thank you for your time -Joe
Old 03-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger faster boats especially with more power just simply cost a lot more than we all expect on a yearly basis. Obviously keeping up on maintenance helps but it still won't keep you out of the shop because high performance parts just don't last.

Plan on 10s of thousands in rebuilds/freshening every season.

Most likely the engines drives and trans are NOT in as good of shape as you hope when buying any used boat so be prepared for unexpected failures.

Depending on power levels and build details here's a general idea.

Expect to freshen the top ends every 100-200 hours
Bottom ends 200-400 hours
Drives 100-200
Trans 200

Oil changes and basic maintenance wont do much to prevent the valvetrain from wearing out....

Every fall you should do a leak down and compression test tracking your numbers in Hope's of catching worn out items before they break and cause more problems.

Pressure test exhaust yearly also.

Need engine build specs but most likely any 50wt that makes you feel warm and fuzzy changed about every 20hrs with any quality filter no need for a racing filter they don't filter as well.

Amsoil severe gear in 5 gallon pails work nice in the drives.

If it was me I'd buy less boat so you can afford to pay someone to help maintain it let alone afford the cost of ownership.

Good luck keep us updated!

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 03-29-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Large.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:38 PM
Registered

Default .

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion View Post
Bigger faster boats especially with more power just simply cost a lot more than we all expect on a yearly basis. Obviously keeping up on maintenance helps but it still won't keep you out of the shop because high performance parts just don't last.

Plan on 10s of thousands in rebuilds/freshening every season.

Most likely the engines drives and trans are NOT in as good of shape as you hope when buying any used boat so be prepared for unexpected failures.

Depending on power levels and build details here's a general idea.

Expect to freshen the top ends every 100-200 hours
Bottom ends 200-400 hours
Drives 100-200
Trans 200

Oil changes and basic maintenance wont do much to prevent the valvetrain from wearing out....

Every fall you should do a leak down and compression test tracking your numbers in Hope's of catching worn out items before they break and cause more problems.

Pressure test exhaust yearly also.

Need engine build specs but most likely any 50wt that makes you feel warm and fuzzy changed about every 20hrs with any quality filter no need for a racing filter they don't filter as well.

Amsoil severe gear in 5 gallon pails work nice in the drives.

If it was me I'd buy less boat so you can afford to pay someone to help maintain it let alone afford the cost of ownership.

Good luck keep us updated!
thanks for the reply!
completely understand that this is a serious money game thank you for the heads up. I'm trying to figure out maintenance and cost before i purchase. i don't mind going to a shop or engine shop if need be, but i actually really enjoy wrenching on my own boats . Iv owned a number of boats but nothing with 6's or a blower so this is an eye opener. I'm gonna do research on parts and everything mentioned above. i personally own a high end motorcycle and race car shop in nj so i have the tools and resources to pull engines etc. only thing i will not be touching is the bottom end and machining if need be so that should save some $$$
Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Registered

Default .

just got off the phone with the owner of the boat everything was refreshed and has zero hours. motors also have been turned down to 850hp at only 5 psi so that is a plus gonna continue to dig appreciate the help!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we have more info of the boat in question? Maybe pics or more details or the listing ad. Not for trying to steal it our from you. But their is a lot of knowledgeable people here that Im pretty sure someone here may know the story or stories behind the boat in question. And they may have a little more insight for you. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its the small things that lead to trouble.....keep the water pump impellers fresh (i like the softer globe brand) new belts and hoses glue and safety wire the raw water intake line the pressure can exceed hundreds of pounds at speed.....another huge one in intercooler cores have a 2-3 year life and that's according to superchiller it is easy to test and inspect do it often! mobile one 20-50 V twin is the gold standard for anything with a blower keep it timed and lots of clean fresh fuel a little baby powder on the blower belt increases its life and the pulleys run cooler
Old 03-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smoke eater View Post
Can we have more info of the boat in question? Maybe pics or more details or the listing ad. Not for trying to steal it our from you. But their is a lot of knowledgeable people here that Im pretty sure someone here may know the story or stories behind the boat in question. And they may have a little more insight for you. Just a thought.
nope i get where you are coming from. I'm waiting to sit down with the owner because of the lock down going right now but its a 588 ci with Lunati cranks, eagle rods, crane cams, girdles, crane roller rockers, Manley SS intake & inconnel exhaust valves. Dart pro 1 heads, 588 CI Merlin blocks, 5lbs of boost at 5550 rpms. everything was redone and serviced so its a fresh rebuild on everything.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros View Post
its the small things that lead to trouble.....keep the water pump impellers fresh (i like the softer globe brand) new belts and hoses glue and safety wire the raw water intake line the pressure can exceed hundreds of pounds at speed.....another huge one in intercooler cores have a 2-3 year life and that's according to superchiller it is easy to test and inspect do it often! mobile one 20-50 V twin is the gold standard for anything with a blower keep it timed and lots of clean fresh fuel a little baby powder on the blower belt increases its life and the pulleys run cooler
thank you! this is what I'm looking for all the little tricks. the baby powder is a smart move and new to me
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its funny...given how some people talk around here about 6s youd think there is zero maintenance and they are free to own after purchase.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser