American Offshore- What's up? >

American Offshore- What's up?

Notices

American Offshore- What's up?

Old 11-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Offshore- What's up?

I'm interested in a 3100 American Offshore. In fact, I have a buyer lined up for my boat and was planning on traveling to look at a 1999 A/O this weekend. I am, however, concerned with some of the recent posts I've been reading in the A/O form. It seems as though the co. has some major internal/financial issues to resolve. This is no way an attempt to bash any co. or spread any false rumors.

My fear is that I buy this boat and 6 months from now, A/O goes out of business, what kind of effect would this have on the boats resale value? Is anyone familiar with the situation at A/O? If so, would you still have an interest in buying their product? Who knows, things may get worked out and all will be good, I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

I guess my question is this: If you knew a co. (regardless of what manufacturer) may or may not be having issues, would you still look at and consider owning their product?

Thankyou for your advice and opions!
Old 11-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Intolerant1

Unless there is a major turn around in the market, I think you will here such things about most of the boat manufacturers, especially ones that are limited to high performance alone. Its a very small segment of the boating market.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,301 Likes on 3,706 Posts

if its a used boat you are looking at will it matter if the manufacture is still in business?? fiberglass work can be done by a lot of companies, engine work the same, or are you buying from them with a warranty??
Old 11-07-2002, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Pete. I own a 1985 Chris Cat and could care less that the "factory" no longer makes or supports this boat. My boat has had so many upgrades that it doesn't matter anyway. IMHO, a "good used boat" that is out of warranty is not related to the current financial condition of the OEM. More important is the condition of the boat, its powertrain, etc.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read all the AO posts as well. My take is this..If a particular company is having problems my concern wouldn't be 6 months after you have the boat, It would be ever getting the completed boat in the first place. Don't put too much down (more than your willing to lose if the worst happens). Personally I think any money up front is a joke but thats just me.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Catastrophe

Angry American Rip off

If you put up money you will get screwed