1300 lbs torque turbo engines? >

1300 lbs torque turbo engines?

Notices

1300 lbs torque turbo engines?

Old 10-27-2002, 08:19 PM
New boater man

Default 1300 lbs torque turbo engines?

wondering what offshore powerboats run turbo's

Any info on turbo engines in offshore boats would be greatly appreciated.

shadrach

Old 10-27-2002, 09:01 PM
packinair

there is one around.. designed to SPANK 21' SKATERS

Old 10-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you looking to find out? I have been running a twin turbo BBC for about 5-6 years.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:32 PM
New boater man

Just wondering the ins and outs of why turbo's are good and why they are not?

What is the fastest Boat speed record for a 40' Skater.

What drives would be best for 1300 ft lbs of torque?

What is the overall fastest boat on the water record?

How do you compare your Turbo to Blowntop?

Thanks

Shadrach

Old 10-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering the ins and outs of why turbo's are good and why they are not?

Turbos have a slight lag, Blowers have instant power which is better for jumping wave to wave in the ocean.

What is the fastest Boat speed record for a 40' Skater.

Probably about 200mph.

What drives would be best for 1300 ft lbs of torque?

Arnesons

What is the overall fastest boat on the water record?

I believe it was 317. and he lived.

How do you compare your Turbo to Blowntop?

See #1
Old 10-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo charged ,gasoline, carberated motors have fuel calibration problems . Carberators can't keep up well with the demand of a turbo . YOu hit the gas and the turbo lag holds back fuel ,(rich condition)then the turbo takes off and causes a temporary lean spot until the carb catches up . There are those that run them and some that work .But more that have problems and pop pistons then don't . Blowers are instant power with no lag . They are more user friendly and forgiving then turbos and have a better power range . More torque out of the hole . Most boats (BIG BOATS) with turbos need to run 2 speed trans to get on plane with the lack of low end power (turbo lag)...
Old 10-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Registered

Turbo "lag" is a thing of the past if your set up is done correctly. My motor comes on boost at 1500 rpms so there is NO lag of any kind. The motor makes over 1000 ft lbs at 3000 rpms so I guess that would qualify as instant power.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

check 300 , Sounds like you have it figured out ! I didn't say all the turbo set ups were bad .....But, what about fuel calibration ? How do you over come that ? IF your at low rpms bashing waves and pumping the throttles , don't they get alittle funny or load up some ? Not knocking you ! Just looking for more info . No matter what , even the best turbo has at least a tinny lag compared to a blower motor . It has to . It's NOT a mechanical conection .It is turned by air pressure not a belt . A good example is in drag racing . All turbo motors stage at high rpm's were as blower motors leave from an idle. Give us some more detail of your setup . Thanks ,JOE
Old 10-29-2002, 06:37 AM
Registered

Boot fuel calibration and indeed engine management is done with electronics. The motor is set up with efi. The computer contols ignition, fuel, and even boost. The system was designed by my mentor, Tom Earhart. With this setup there just is no lag of any kind. The motor makes more power at 2000 rpms then most blower motors. We have the dyno sheets to prove it. I have this motor in a 6000lb v-bottom with a #6 drive. Have no problems getting on plane with a full 120 gals of fuel on board and 5 people. If the air is routed to the turbos correctly there does not have to be the traditional turbo lag.
Hope this answers a few of your questions. By the way I have put 300 hours on this motor with one rebuild consisting of bearings, rings and new valve train.

Bill
Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill - How do you handle heat jacketing on the hot side of the turbos? The idea is to keep as much heat as possible in the exhaust stream until it goes past the turbo. I know at Detroit Diesel, they were making triple-wall turbine housings with an airgap between the first two walls, and water cooling between the second and third (outer) wall. I've also seen some dry ceramic-cloth jackets that were approved for marine use.

Quick Reply: 1300 lbs torque turbo engines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.