Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUP banned? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/366768-bup-banned.html)

Knot 4 Me 06-09-2020 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ph1971 (Post 4742772)
Maybe he understands the value of the content he is donating to the site. There are certain members that are simply part of the fabric of this site and have provided invaluable content and assistance. The outcry would be the same if they banned glass Dave. The whole thing rings hollow to me when the admin. has a guy basically running a free help line and they want to charge him. Raise your hand if the reason you originally came here was to get help fixing your junk yourself.

Your argument may have merit if Jeffrey or Steve still owned the site and they worked a deal out with certain members separate from the site rules. As the site is now Corporate owned I don’t see that happening nor would expect it to. He most certainly provided value but don’t think for a minute it was solely out of the goodness of his heart. He was most definitely trying to also generate business and there was nothing wrong with that assuming he abided by the site rules. As to Dan’s point above you have to advertise to generate business. Word of mouth only goes so far. Hell I spent $500 last weekend at LOTO on booze and food.

Indy 06-09-2020 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by hogie roll (Post 4742764)
I also can’t wait until this site is exclusively announcements about new $500k-1mm boats that nobody reads or cares about.

It's mostly there.

sailtexas186548 06-09-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4742795)
It's mostly there.

It’s all the way there... except maybe 5 threads

SR24Dave 06-09-2020 12:29 PM

THANK YOU, BUP!
When I first got on the OSO forum, BUP was there! Along with a few other OSO People.
Very few people know ILMOR MV-10's
He never asked for a CC#, Didn't try to sell his services, Just offered Free friendly advise with how to proceed.
After hours calls and emails, and or on weekends He was more help to me that ILMOR MFG. was during regular hrs.
His information lead to many of k's being spent with other venders than him self.

He knows his S***.

I would gladly donate to a go fund me! (For the info he gave me for free VIA PM's and in person phone calls.)

And Im sure there are many many more he has helped.

My take on him is that he is an old school guy thats more than willing to help another boater. And is an asset to OSO.

Q: I wonder if its against the "Rules" to post his info on future threads, so his knowledge is available to OSO communities questions and concerns?

Ex: I seen your question, I can offer free advise to "Give BUP" a call at 1-***-***-****#BUPisTheBest! JustAskBup.com

Griff 06-09-2020 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4742747)
Griff, will you let BUP roll with a Gold membership?

Its really not up to me, but I would say no.
He needs a Commercial Membership at a minimum to continue as he was.
Commercial Members
The Commercial Membership will allow you to:
  • Promote your business in your signature.
  • Link to your website
  • List your business phone number
  • Display your business logo
  • 5 Free Classifieds
  • Send/Receive even MORE Private Messages (PM's)
  • View Member Profiles
  • E-Mail other Members
  • See who's online
  • View OSO's Uncensored Section

1MOSES1 06-09-2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4742698)
Coastal Marine Export was NEVER a paid advertiser and NEVER had a Commercial Membership. Any for sale posts in the forums by CME were always quickly deleted due to advertising violations. CME was able to use paid classifieds just as BUP could still choose to utilize.

Who are the non paying members who run full fledged marine businesses and advertise on OSO??

ive seen plenty of posts by CME in the swap shop threads soliciting sales of parts. How do you think I ended up with the garbage that was sold to me...? That goes for several sellers.

TYPHOON 06-09-2020 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4742742)
I’m chuckling at the suggestion we need to gofundme for a membership for a business owner who was also building a new 29 Lavey with a 900 HP custom mill that was going to make the rounds nationwide once completed. C’mon, man!! :picard1:

Its not that he cant afford it. Its to say thankyou and please don't leave. For what ever reason he has for not paying I don't care.

SR24Dave 06-09-2020 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 4742804)
Its not that he cant afford it. Its to say thankyou and please don't leave. For what ever reason he has for not paying I don't care.

I second that!

GLENAMY 242SS 06-09-2020 01:53 PM

Would it be OK to post "LAVEY 29" on River Dave's Place is John (BUP)?
Asking for a friend.

SR24Dave 06-09-2020 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS (Post 4742819)
Would it be OK to post "LAVEY 29" on River Dave's Place is John (BUP)?
Asking for a friend.

Im not sure who you would ask if its OK to post "LAVEY 29" on River Dave's Place is John (BUP)?