Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUP banned? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/366768-bup-banned.html)

flat rate 06-07-2020 09:54 AM

BUP banned?

was looking at some threads and see BUP is banned? Whats up with that?hes alot of help on these forums

Unlimited jd 06-07-2020 10:14 AM

If I had to guess it’s the constant sales pitch posts. Should at the very least get a paid memebership.

PA.WOODCHUCK 06-07-2020 10:28 AM

are there others here that offer services without membership?

Indy 06-07-2020 10:50 AM

Bad move. Dude was a giant help here.

Smoke eater 06-07-2020 11:40 AM

shows he was last active at 944 am this morning. I dont think he was banned, but I could be wrong

hogie roll 06-07-2020 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd (Post 4742452)
If I had to guess it’s the constant sales pitch posts. Should at the very least get a paid memebership.

I didn’t notice that. I’m all for pros that are willing to share. Plus I need an update on the Lavey.

speicher lane 06-07-2020 12:11 PM

His profile shows Banned.... crazy!

97FASTech 06-07-2020 12:18 PM

Can I buy him a Premium membership? He bought my Fastech.

underpsi68 06-07-2020 12:41 PM

Yes he was banned. He might have sold his parts and services here but offered so much free help it will be a big lose.

GLENAMY 242SS 06-07-2020 12:50 PM

Tfbs

272bajadriver 06-07-2020 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by underpsi68 (Post 4742473)
Yes he was banned. He might have sold his parts and services here but offered so much free help it will be a big lose.

With All due respect I disagree. About a year ago I called him to ask him a question and he told me in order to talk to him he would need a credit card and charge by the time......... to be honest he was extremely rude in the way he said it. I immediately told him NO THANKS. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one he asked for a credit card to talk to him. Maybe enough people complained?

OldSchool 06-07-2020 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver (Post 4742480)
With All due respect I disagree. I called him to ask him a question and he told me in order to talk to him he would need a credit card and charge by the time......... to be honest he was extremely rude in the way he said it. I immediately told him NO THANKS. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one he asked for a credit card to talk to him. Maybe enough people complained?

Did you ban him or someone else?

272bajadriver 06-07-2020 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 4742484)
Did you ban him or someone else?

NO, my experience happened about a year ago. I just shrugged it off and didn’t even say anything about it. I don’t know why he got banned, I thought I saw him posting something a few days ago about reflashing ecu’s? Maybe one of the manufacturers complained about that?

compedgemarine 06-07-2020 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver (Post 4742480)
With All due respect I disagree. I called him to ask him a question and he told me in order to talk to him he would need a credit card and charge by the time......... to be honest he was extremely rude in the way he said it. I immediately told him NO THANKS. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one he asked for a credit card to talk to him. Maybe enough people complained?

that is interesting since he does not take credit cards and has not for at least the last few years I have bought from him. in fact I usually have to bug him to send me an invoice so I can send him a check for parts.

272bajadriver 06-07-2020 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4742488)
that is interesting since he does not take credit cards and has not for at least the last few years I have bought from him. in fact I usually have to bug him to send me an invoice so I can send him a check for parts.

I can only tell you my experience, maybe he was having a bad day I don’t know what to tell you. After that I never called him again. It’s been at least a year. I don’t know the guy personally. Seemed to always want to help people which is why I reached out to him.

ph1971 06-07-2020 04:28 PM

The guy has helped hundreds of us diagnose problems for years for nothing. Help of this kind from members is absolutely one of the main reasons this site exists and has been so successful. It’s a damn shame

Wharf Rat 1 06-07-2020 06:50 PM

Bup banned??

Can one of the moderators confirm with us? It seems the issue is unclear.

IGetWet 06-07-2020 06:59 PM

What’s going on with the latest forum update? It’s getting weird around here

Craney 06-07-2020 07:08 PM

I can’t believe it,it would be a shame to lose a good guy like that always there with a lot of knowledge to help a lot people out.I hope they lift the ban.

rak rua 06-07-2020 07:09 PM

Content deleted......

Just read a well written post by 'Rookie' a couple of posts down. Think I'll wait and read more arguments on both sides.

RR

Craney 06-07-2020 07:12 PM

When you get banned you can still see everything you just can’t post anything,is that correct?

Rookie 06-07-2020 07:18 PM

He had to have been banned for selling new product. I saw that he Trump'd an advertiser the other day. (I thought Holy S#it that's some balls) He had been warned many times before.
He seemed like a good guy, always helping others, but the blatant disregard over and over about selling new product and promoting his business without even a basic membership. The writing was on the wall.

flat rate 06-07-2020 07:41 PM

Did oso just jump the shark?

flat rate 06-07-2020 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 4742503)
He had to have been banned for selling new product. I saw that he Trump'd an advertiser the other day. (I thought Holy S#it that's some balls) He had been warned many times before.
He seemed like a good guy, always helping others, but the blatant disregard over and over about selling new product and promoting his business without even a basic membership. The writing was on the wall.

I have to disagree. He might have promoted his business but it was always at the expense of giving out free info. He was/is a value to this forum.

Rookie 06-07-2020 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by flat rate (Post 4742506)
I have to disagree. He might have promoted his business but it was always at the expense of giving out free info. He was/is a value to this forum.

It wasn't up for debate, he didn't buy a membership. I'm not questioning his value to the forum. If you got value from his information like a lot of others, then he had value. But, that is not monetary and other members pay to sell product. A cheap basic membership would have helped to "look away" for a while.
Also, I'm not for or against the banning.

Mentalpause 06-07-2020 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 4742509)
It wasn't up for debate, he didn't buy a membership. I'm not questioning his value to the forum. If you got value from his information like a lot of others, then he had value. But, that is not monetary and other members pay to sell product. A cheap basic membership would have helped to "look away" for a while.
Also, I'm not for or against the banning.

Agree. Not for or against. He added value, but he also did a ton of advertising for his own benefit. I have no idea if he was talked to by OSO or not, but my guess is he was. Why wouldn't he be willing to pay for some of that benefit. I was always surprised he wasn't an advertiser or at least a paying member. Do we think OSO gets to run this site for free?

Mentalpause 06-07-2020 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by flat rate (Post 4742506)

I disagree with your point. Yes he added value. Many others add value, are not advertising and getting income as he did, and are paying for a membership. He clearly promoted his business on this site. I'm baffled why he wouldn't be willing to pay a small fee for that.

bajaholic 06-07-2020 10:33 PM

Here is another spin. My wife who runs Marine Vessel Documentation Service, started out answering questions and happily offering advise. When she went out on her own and started her business, she contacted OSO for membership advise in advertising etc. They have been very helpful and seriously willing to work with her to pay a business membership and not have to pay expensive advertising costs with an actual add. Hopefully down the road that will happen, but expansion is needed to support those costs.

This has been important to her since her business is still young and growing. Keeping costs low help her and the exposure has helped.

NOW.... In those rules, she cannot just advertise it must be in a format this is helping and informative. This makes it a win win for everyone involved.

So, I guess what I am saying.... If you are going to promote your business, there are ways to fit with in the rules and still help by making a reasonable payment to the site. Truly it is a win win for everyone involved. If you don't follow the rules, the repercussions are to be expected. I am imagining, there would be plenty of conversations prior to one being banned.

ICDEDPPL 06-08-2020 12:16 AM

Thats messed up , he was always helpful and i have no idea what he was selling or what really his business is so it couln`t have been so bad .

Griff 06-08-2020 01:30 AM

I did not ban BUP, and not sure which mod or admin did, but I support the decision.
He was given a long leash and kept pushing the envelop. We have had more complaints about him constantly violating the advertising policies than all other members/businesses combined. I have reached out to him several times and thanked him for his contributions and valuable information that he posts on OSO and asked him if he would purchase a Commercial Membership ($500) to help further promote his business. He refused to purchase a Commercial Membership, or for that matter, any type of membership. He has made thousands of dollars for his marine business by using OSO to sell his parts and services. It is not fair to the advertisers who actually support OSO to allow him to continue to do so.

PA.WOODCHUCK 06-08-2020 07:41 AM

could it be BUP was more active replying to issues other boaters were having vs paid vendors? That's why I went with BUP.

rak rua 06-08-2020 07:54 AM

Sounds pretty clear, he broke the rules, got warned (more than once) then continued to break the rules so he's banned.

It's a loss to the forum members, he offered a lot of expertise and experience but the paying commercial members are understandably a higher priority.

Hopefully the door is open and he would be welcomed back if he pays membership.

RR

TxHawk 06-08-2020 08:17 AM

How many individual parts hustlers are making money using OSO? They all boost the number of daily users that is a requirement to sell advertising.

ph1971 06-08-2020 08:23 AM

I think the swap shop should be banned next.All of those used parts are killing the advertisers new parts sales.

open87 06-08-2020 08:34 AM

Jesus man,

This place is just going to shi t.

John was the one Mercury man that has helped and answered just about everyone’s issues that ever come about .

As for the post above me ,

really ? Get rid of swap ?

Griff is always on point in keeping that clear and so do the other mods.

ph1971 06-08-2020 08:36 AM

It’s sarcasm

hogie roll 06-08-2020 10:21 AM

No clue what he was even selling. It’s not like he spammed us.

scippy 06-08-2020 10:22 AM

Here's the paradox...........Cheap to never purchase commercial membership, but generous to offer up help to those inquiring answers.

GLENAMY 242SS 06-08-2020 10:34 AM

Truth be known, BUP most likely helped the paid advertisers. He told the members what parts they needed to fix their problems. Member goes to BAM's Hardin, Diamond, etc. sights, orders parts fixes boat. Now if we get into how OSO really makes it's revenues I bet it is from banner advertisers, which rely on site visit counts and "click-throughs". The more the technical resources are limited the less the website traffic and the less the advertising funds.
BUP was without a doubt an asset to the forum and the "boat-load" of people he has helped throughout the years.
Thank you BUP for your help.

captain caveman 06-08-2020 12:25 PM

I hope this decision wasn't made lightly. A lot of people appreciated BUP's input over the years,especially those of us with 496's.