Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lets Hear it for Greg Biffle (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36687-lets-hear-greg-biffle.html)

Dock Holiday 11-10-2002 08:14 PM

Lets Hear it for Greg Biffle

:D :D :D

Way to go Greg!

Lake Norman boater, Formula 353 Owner and now the Bush Series Points Champion.

Not to mention a very nice guy.

TulsaLarry 11-10-2002 08:59 PM

Way to go Greg!!

:D

vagrant 11-11-2002 12:58 PM

Dale Earnheart Jr has a 30 something foot Larson on the lake.
Mr Hendricks runs a cat.

Dock Holiday 11-11-2002 01:01 PM

Originally posted by GottaHaveIt
I guess you see a lot of NASCAR drivers' boats. What other
drivers and boats can you list for us? :)

Chris,

I see more drivers here in the office than on the lake. With their schedules they are never on the lake on the weekends. But we are right in the heart of Nascar country. My company sells and delivers to seven teams on a regular basis. I wish we could sell them more, but we are more industrial related and a lot of what they use are given to them free of charge by sponsors.

Greg is a very nice guy. He is a real speed freak. I have met Rusty Wallace, he does a charity PWC run on Norman every year. I have met Mark Martin, Dale Jr. and Bill Elliott.

Funny, but it does not seem that the drivers are much into performance boats. The only boat that Dale Jr has that I know of on Lake Norman is a cruiser.

Their engine builders seem to be the guys that have the fast boats. There are several of them in the area and they like big horsepower and blowers. Funny, but I hear a lot that they are all running racing fuel (High Octane).

While in Charleston a couple of months ago, we kept our boat at Charleston Harbor Marina and were right across from Jeff and Ward Burtons cruiser. WOW, WOW, WOW is all I can say. This was 70 Feet of the nicest cruiser I have every seen. It was made in Italy and was awesome. The harbor master told me it was 10 Million dollars new. I think a lot of the drivers now have that kind of lifestyle.

Mark

Allan4 11-11-2002 02:48 PM

Most of the now "modern day" drivers are not the mechanics they used to be. This is not a bad thing, but just too many other obligations that go along with being the driver. The true gear heads are still the engine guys, plus by cranking out $30K + motors they got the jack to buy the boats....Hahahahaha Just Kidding. Almost anything related to Cup racing these days is a year 'round full time gig with little time to play. If you miss two weeks on the job, you are definitely two weeks behind all the other teams. Hell, then they retire and are sick of the fast lane....HAHAHA Buy a cruiser:D :D

ChrisK 11-11-2002 04:11 PM

Dock... you said that your buisness delivers to some of the teams... what is it that you do?

Dock Holiday 11-11-2002 04:39 PM

Originally posted by ChrisK
Dock... you said that your buisness delivers to some of the teams... what is it that you do?
Chris,

We are in the bearing and industrial power transmission business. The company is named "Allied Bearings & Supply".

Our primary business is with the industrial plants in the area. Selling all types of bearings, chain drives, belt drives, speed reducers, couplings, electric motors, etc, etc.

We also sell items like casters, hoses, CRC chemical products, C/R seals and speedie sleeves, and hand cleaners. These are the type items the teams use. Small dollars overall, but every little bit helps.

I cannot mention the team name, but we are helping with some very special ceramic radial bearings for a qualifing transmission that will be run a couple of laps without oil. These guys have this down to a fine art, they can tell you exactly what every component cost them in horsepower. This transmission may save three horsepower if it works.

It is nice to get to meet some of these guys and see what they are in to. They have been propelled into fame and fortune, but most are pretty down to earth fellows just like us. I can tell you they work hard for the money. I could not stand to have their schedules.

Mark

Steet 11-13-2002 08:55 PM

Lake Norman Boaters

Hi Doc, I have not seen many of the nascar boys out lately. I use to see Jeff Gordon (Jeff, has moved I believe) on the lake and Dale Jr. but not lately. Jeff use to have one of the P-29 Scarabs. Dale Jr. still has his Larson. Hendrick still has the Skater and I have had the fortune of riding in this fast beast. Every year, the big boys are finding less and less time to enjoy the lake. The only time they have is either in the winter months or on monday after race weekend.

Steet 11-13-2002 08:58 PM

Tim Richmonds old boat

Gottahaveit, the boat tim once owned was a scarab, dark blue with black strips, and it is still around. I have not seen it lately. I believe it was about 34 to 36 feet. It was very nice.

BARRY1784 11-14-2002 09:03 AM

Does anyone have pics of their boats on LKN?