1978 Baron info on hull no. >

1978 Baron info on hull no.

Notices

1978 Baron info on hull no.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1978 Baron info on hull no.

First posting here. Hello. Name is Tom. I'm from Michigan near lake saint Clair. I finally found a Baron and bought it! The owner said supposedly the owner of Baron co owned the boat. I don't see a hull I'd no.. does anyone know how to tell out if the 14 which one this is? It has a TRS drive that looks like it's been on since 1978. Lol.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Registered

My Baron is red. Red n white striped seats. One thing that stands out is the dash has a cutout for an old school cassette. It's been covered. It also has a 6" by 6 " square piece I found wood attached to the underside of the front section. I don't know why it's there. Kinda weird. No purpose. Maybe used a base to cover a hole on top? I don't know. The motor is black and has a small flame arrestor. Common looks like. Hydraulic trim tabs that work well. Trim takes forever to go down. Probably 35 seconds to bury it. Comes up a little faster but not fast. It had a red trailer with long board bunks.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Registered

I heard the First Baron was blue and white. It was ran on Reed lake on its maiden voyage. They built 13 more and the company stopped. 2 guys bought the mold and made a powerplay 185xlt. They got sued from Florida comoany.over the name. Then they called it power quest. Cut up the mold a few years later.
I think that's how it goes. Anyone know the Owner of Baron co. Can I contact him ?

Last edited by Baronowner3; 07-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 AM
Registered

Did they put any hull numbers on the 14 Barons? Where is it located. Did the owners boat have a hull number on it? Did the first one have a hull number on it? It would be interesting to find out. The guy I got it from said he bought it off a guy named Joel. But that was 9 yrs ago.. I'd have to dig deeper to go back in time ownership. I don't know Joel or how long he owned it or whom he bought it off if. Maybe someone here knows more.
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (07-21-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:17 AM
Registered

Did they put any hull numbers on the 14 Barons? Where is it located. Did the owners boat have a hull number on it? Did the first one have a hull number on it? It would be interesting to find out. The guy I got it from said he bought it off a guy named Joel. But that was 9 yrs ago.. I'd have to dig deeper to go back in time ownership. I don't know Joel or how long he owned it or whom he bought it off if. Maybe someone here knows more.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Try pm’ing or emailing Baronmarine on here. If I remember rightly from on of his old threads he worked there as a kid and even restored one also...

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ronmarine.html
larslindroth (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 149 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
Try pm’ing or emailing Baronmarine on here. If I remember rightly from on of his old threads he worked there as a kid and even restored one also...

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ronmarine.html
didnt he have the first one? blue with a surface drive. friend of mine knew him and told me he thought that one was the first built.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 659 Likes on 327 Posts

Didn't TommyMonza's family start Baron Marine?

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ommymonza.html
Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
Where did you buy it out of?

This is my hunch but would need a few measurements and better pics.

My brother designed the original Baron/Powerplay/Powerquest 185 back in the mid 70s and built a wood plug for the hull out of cedar.

The plug was cracking and moving so much that he got it close than we pulled a mold off from it.

Than we pulled a plug/hull out of that mold and worked over that plug to perfection and added the lifting strikes and deck joint area.

After pulling a good mold off that plug my brother short on funds sold that fiberglass worked over plug with no deck on it.

The drop in the sheer about 4 feet from the stern kind of looks like the thing that always bugged me about the design.
​​​​​​​
larslindroth (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 223 Likes on 117 Posts

A little more history by Tommy here in this thread:

From the archives
Old 07-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your new to you Baron. I saw this a couple of weeks ago, but was on vacation. There was a red & white one for sale on craigslist over in Detroit since last year. I thought that one was a 260 with some work & a alpha. Had some different high back seats & thru prop. That 280 trs boat was I think the 2nd or 3rd one. That package was used to quick finish it for a show when there was not any 260 / alpha packages available. That is the only one. I'm sure that drive was painted white down the road some time. Ours is one of the last ones, I bought it from Tommymonza back in 1985, his brother Dave that built them lives right down the road from me. I have not seen him in a number years. Ours has a 383 ci with a surface drive I bought from Saber Marine that was on there first red 28'. Our also has been completely taken apart down to a row boat. All new stringers, transom, more bulkheads, floors, fuel tank & interior. The deck is back on it & that is all the farther I have got. Have not worked on it in the last 5 or 6 years. The motor is at Chief being rebuilt, the plan is getting it back together by next year, there is not much more to do. Oh & Tmonza is still around in Fla again, beach bum text me at 3am this morning! I'll shoot him a text that this is on here.

Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.