Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Anyone else been deer hunting with their vehicle this year?? >

OT: Anyone else been deer hunting with their vehicle this year??

Notices

OT: Anyone else been deer hunting with their vehicle this year??

Old 11-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago two of my co-workers were killed in auto-deer accident. They swerved to miss a deer another vehicle had hit and put their truck into a barrier. The truck rolled several times ejecting the passenger who wasn't wearing a seat belt. The driver was OK and rushed to aid his fiance. She had landed in the roadway and they were both were hit several times by other cars. Sometimes it's not worth swerving or even slamming on the brakes.

Last edited by Cord; 11-12-2002 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Its a 35 mph road if you don't see it far enough ahead of you laying there to stop under control your driving to fast, not paying attention or following to close$.02
Old 11-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My neighbor got one Saturday night in the rain..
Attached Thumbnails OT:  Anyone else been deer hunting with their vehicle this year??-im000474small.jpg  
Old 11-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another
Attached Thumbnails OT:  Anyone else been deer hunting with their vehicle this year??-im000475small.jpg  
Old 11-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
Sometimes it's not worth swerving or even slamming on the brakes.
I gotta agree with you on that one Cord. I wonder how many people get in a worse situation (or put others in a bad situation) swerving or slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting animals.
If I'm on a deserted road and travelling slow, I'll try to avoid hitting stuff.
Otherwise, animal pancake comin' up!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

I got a 12 point 2 years ago with my Grand Prix. He had just landed when I hit him at 70 (jumped out from behind an overpass). It was like hitting a brick wall. The down force when his body hit the hood blew both front tires and he re-formed the hood around the engine like it was stamped that way. He landed DOA about 100 yds from the car which had come to an immediate stop. The front end was destroyed. I was very glad not to have been hurt or killed in that one. The bad news is, by the time I got back to the site with my truck, somebody else got the deer. On my way back from Norfolk last week I saw many many deer eating on both sides of the road. I tried to stay behind as many semis as I could. Scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Good pics CJC. I'm also glad that you didn't post the pic from the passenger side. That one was nasty.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in a similiar situation as Foul a couple years back. Buy in a burban hit the dear first and it spun it into my lane. Hit the breaks, tried to go around and realized it was either risk spinning the car or hit the deal. I was in a Saab 900. Well the poor thing got stuck under my car and lifted the front tires off the ground and I dragged him about 75-100 yards tell I finally stopped JUST before going into the guard rail. I got out and the damn deal was still alive and kicking under my car. I was going to shoot it to put it out of it missery but the guy with the Burban had a kid there so I just had to watch him suffer The Tow truck dude did more damage to my car then the dear did

Jon
Old 11-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Well, this was a big 6 point. I noticed part of his rack on the side of the road this morning so I swung by there this afternoon on the way home. Mr. Gadgets saw me on the side of the freeway and called to make sure I was o.k. Thanks Dick. Anyway, I have half the rack.....couldn't find the other half, and the deer is gone. Tore it right out of his skull. Big tines too. Top to bottom is about 11 inches....each tine is over 3" long. Like I said, it was a big 6 point. Changed my front licence plate today too.....took the bloody dealer advertizement plate off (no front plate required in MI) and put my University Of Michigan Alumni plate on. That's better!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 04:09 PM
CRUBOSS

a buddy of mine tagged the hind end of one with his roadking !