Introduction / Thoughts on Formula 382

Notices

Introduction / Thoughts on Formula 382

Old 08-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Introduction / Thoughts on Formula 382

Hey Everyone!

I've been looking to buy a high performance boat and think I finally decided on one. I've been lurking on OSO quite a bit in the process and figured it's about time I made an account, introduced myself and said thanks for all the help! I grew up in a family of boaters; I got a Yamaha jet boat when I was 16 and I've been sharing my dad's Doral 360SE Express Cruiser with him the last few years. I've hit the point where I'm ready to get my own boat again and I think the 382 fits what I am looking for perfectly.

It won't let me post a link to the boat I am moving forward with until I have 10 posts, so looks like I need to get a little more active and I can come back with a link. I have a deposit on it and I'm currently doing my diligence before ultimately pulling the trigger; I can still pull out at anytime if I find any major red flags. My biggest concern are the engines; the boat has 2 Mercruiser 500 EFI blue motors with 420 hours. I test drove the boat and they started very quickly and ran great, but I feel like the hours are getting up there a little, they are raw water cooled (it is a saltwater boat), and the owner has not had the top ends redone per the recommended service interval. I am getting the boat surveyed this week and provided the leak down and compression tests all come back up to spec I am going to move forward; the current owner is an 80 year old guy who's had the boat for the last 12 years, so thinking he probably didn't beat on them too hard.

Anyways, I'm posting here to see if there are any other red flags the experienced members of OSO know of / think I should look out for before I pull the trigger?

Thanks again for all the support during the selection process and looking forward to being part of the community!
​​
Old 08-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 592 Likes on 300 Posts

I dont know those boats, but plan on spending some money on the engines for piece of mind, scan the ecm's............. I just rebuilt a pair of 500 EFI that came from salt use and had to throw away 1 lower intake, 4 heads 2 thermostat housings 2 water pumps, but dont let that scare you.......never again lol
Old 08-05-2020, 02:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Apologies right up front because this is how bad rumors get started...

Didn't Formula have a problem with a bunch of hull / deck separations ? On 380 & 350 FasTechs ?

From what I (poorly) remember if the boat was repaired correctly it wasn't a problem, but the process was pretty involved and the key was "done properly" .

You might be able to contact Formula with the HIN and see if the boat was in the batch affected or the repair performed.

My advice on any boat, but especially a salt boat, would be to get a survey from a reputable surveyor.

Our boat is a salt boat and was meticulously maintained by the previous owner but salt gets everywhere and we've replaced a ton of trinket stuff.

Good Luck

d

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the note F-2! Kind of mixed signals here....don't let them scare me, or never again? haha
Either way, I am planning on them needing some maintenance, but would eventually like to look into converting them to antifreeze cooling (case and point being the 4 replacement heads you described above).

Slippery, I haven't seen any mention of any sort of hull / deck separations in my research, I will try to give Formula a call to see if they have any more information though. Regardless I am getting the boat surveyed (in process of scheduling that now) as well as getting the engines compression and lead down tested. As far as "trinkets" breaking......I don't think it'd really be boating if everything worked ALL the time
Old 08-05-2020, 04:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am not technically adept, so I don't know if this link will work, but there are several threads on OSO and more info available if you do a "Google" search on the interweb.

My son was looking at a Formula a few years ago and stumbled across the issue .. IF memory serves It was something to do with the chemical bonding Formula used in addition to their mechanical hull / deck connection.I think part of the difficulty with correcting the issue was the bonding agent that failed had to be correctly- and completely - stripped, or the new goop wouldn't stick.

I think you're on the right track contacting Formula.

As far as "not being boating if everything worked all the time"...that is definitely the truth and that's the correct attitude...even on the rare occasion it's perfect, you won't be happy and will find something to tweak lol.

Good luck

teebee9320 is online now Report Post 382 FasTech Hull to Deck Joint Repair - How To Remove Valence In Cabin

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by teebee9320 View Post

Slippery, I haven't seen any mention of any sort of hull / deck separations in my research, I will try to give Formula a call to see if they have any more information though.
You can find a lot on this site just use the search function

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

I'm in the F2 Speedy camp especially on a boat that old with a person that has not kept up the recommended service on a salt water boat..... just say no to old salt water boats! but I am not a fan on wrenching on boat engines down in the bilge but that's just me
Old 08-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 257 Likes on 132 Posts

Welcome to OSO!
A bit like 'Slippery', I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm or spread negative stories about nice boats but....

You've visited one thread on Fastechs with a build issue, have a look through the other well known thread here...
"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin

Don't overreact and get pushed away from a Formula, these may be a couple of isolated examples where things weren't perfect. Just be aware and make sure the boat is fully checked over for these issues. Chances of a bad boat are slim but you can take a few precautionary measures.

That bit about 400 hours without full maintenance is a bit concerning, plenty of homework for you.

Good luck, hope you end up making the right decisions.

RR

The following users liked this post:
badmonkey (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I donít think I would touch a 400hr saltwater boat unless youíre ready to drop in new motors/drives/transoms/rigging etc. A simple ďtop end refreshĒ can go down a rabbit hole quickly when you start finding everything thatís corroded.
Not trying to be a negative Nancy, it could be a well maintained boat, but saltwater has a way of slowly destroying stuff you canít see until you start taking it apart. just make sure youíre getting it for the right price.
The following 2 users liked this post by ToMorrow44:
Awash (08-06-2020), badmonkey (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

You state itís a saltwater boat, but does it live in saltwater? If trailered or on a lift, and properly flushed and washed, itís a completely different scenario.
I had a 382 Fastech on a lift in salt for 5 years, it looked better than a lot of fresh water boats half itís age when I sold it. Have a leak down done, and check the run/rpm history if possible. I had 525s, not familiar with 500s as far as pulling info related to rpm vs hours.
The 382 is a great boat .
I had the hull/deck issue. Easy fix. I ran mine for two more years after I fixed it, without issue.
good Luck
The following 2 users liked this post by BONDO10:
badmonkey (08-06-2020), Slippery (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep looking...

I owned a 382 for 10 years and many other boats over 30 plus years. I know all the good and bad of the 382 as I went over every inch of that boat. The hull/deck separation is real but can be fixed. If the rubrail is loose or coming off, you probably have the issue. Good maintenance is nice but salt eats everything but the fish. It's everything you can't see and a survey won't find that will come back and bite you in the wallet. You are looking at a project whether you realize it or not. There is nothing wrong with a project as long as you know up front that's what you are getting into. Budget the amount you are paying for the boat for the future.
I'm wrapping up one of these projects now. NEVER AGAIN!
The following users liked this post:
badmonkey (08-07-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.