Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying a boat and trailer from Canada (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/368640-buying-boat-trailer-canada.html)

machboat 09-24-2020 06:16 PM

Buying a boat and trailer from Canada

How does one go about buying a boat from Canada and bring it in to the US during this pandemic. Not really wanting to spend 14 days in quarantine not sure they would let me in in the first place since I am American and not Canadian. I am looking at a boat made in the US and think that eliminates some of the issues. Thanks for the help.

speicher lane 09-24-2020 06:48 PM

You would be turned away at the border immediately....just to get a boat/trailer across (if at all possible) I think you would have to have it hauled across on a semi as commercial is the only thing passing the guards

machboat 09-24-2020 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4758745)
You would be turned away at the border immediately....just to get a boat/trailer across (if at all possible) I think you would have to have it hauled across on a semi as commercial is the only thing passing the guards

That is the sort of answer I was expecting. So If I can't sea trial the boat the next option is to see what it would cost to have it surveyed and sea trialed in Canada. Any recommendations? There are commercial boat haulers (truck and driver that hooks on to boat and pulls it to destination.) here in the US so I assume there are some in Canada. Would need to locate one and get quote from boat location to nearest border crossing. Anyone have any recommendations.

erik1976 09-24-2020 07:07 PM

What province in Canada is the boat in?

Orange quatro 09-24-2020 07:17 PM

Call Peter Roberts from Double R. He helped me with my Outerlimits from Canada

jeff32 09-24-2020 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by erik1976 (Post 4758751)

yep!! Might be able to help you out with all that!

Sydwayz 09-24-2020 09:02 PM

Other folks in the past have had the actual seller move the boat personally across the border. And then you take delivery in the states. It has been discussed here in the past. But this CV19 thing may change things.

speicher lane 09-25-2020 07:04 AM

Even Canadians can't just drive across the border - it is totally locked down except for commercial traffic. Even those that fly across for whatever reason are mandated under law to another 14 days of isolation.

If you want the boat, you are basing on a survey report and getting it hauled commercially across the border

machboat 09-25-2020 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by erik1976 (Post 4758751)

Boat is in the Ontario province.

machboat 09-25-2020 10:15 AM

Please provide contact information for Peter Roberts from Double R. Thanks