Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   EMI Thunder exhaust (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/36889-emi-thunder-exhaust.html)

Madcow 11-13-2002 07:36 PM

EMI Thunder exhaust

Has anybody run these? Do they work? Any recomendations for a good header that will fit in stock location? (I don't want to loose my silent choice). Please let me know.

packinair 11-13-2002 07:43 PM

oh yea.. they work great on my boat

Madcow 11-13-2002 08:13 PM

What do you use them for, ballast?

seahawk 11-13-2002 08:32 PM

they work fine. 1 to 2 miles (200 to 300 rpm) an hour more than stock but i am getting cmi for more power. i have two pair with alum. risers for sale $900 each

Mark in So. MD 11-13-2002 09:03 PM

seahawk, sweet deal

arnt they like 1700 +/- new for one set(manifold/ss riser)

Madcow 11-13-2002 10:55 PM

Someone has them listed in the classified's new for $1050.00. Seems reasonable if they work.

totalmp 11-13-2002 11:21 PM

EMI's work well, but must be used w/ stainless steel risers to net a performance gain. The aluminumrisers had major problems with water reversion, even on stock engines. I learned this the hard way. We sell the complete system fully polished or in any color for about 1700.00 Call me if you need anything.

Stephen

Mark in So. MD 11-13-2002 11:39 PM

Madcow, $1050? wow, or was that just for the Manifold?

EMI prices if you arent a "dealer" for them(they have a nice discount plan set up for people that spend thousands of dollars a year with them)

Exhaust manifolds black $900
SS Risers $800
Polish option Manifold $60 (hard coat option same price)
Polish option Riser $50 (hard coat option same price)
Custom color manifold $75
Custom color riser $50
These prices are if you call them directly and purchase.

Ratchet 11-14-2002 10:17 AM

Try Tyler Crockett

MadCow,

I believe Tyler Crockett usese them (they're in Ruby, MI).

If I recall correctly, there were a few sets he was putting on some 500's with superchargers. I noticed them when they were dynoing an engine of my friends. I don't have the number with me, but I know he's in Hotboat magazine, the contact info may be there.

The company is called Tyler Crockett racing (or marine) engines.

I can't comment too much on them, but I figure the guy with the dyno, thay seems to use them, may be able to help you.

Did you look at stainless marine ? I believe they are comparable in price.

In any case, make sure you don't get a set where the water flows through the flange. I think there are a few out there like that. I guess they have a tendancy to leak at the flange between the riser & manifold, and by the time you notice it, you have water in the cylinders (or I've heard).

RJ

dyno 11-14-2002 10:46 AM

I run them....there fine up to 500 hp after that you need a stainless riser but for the money the aluminum are fine I've never had a problem with reversion....Yet ,two seasons on them 500 hp 454's if I was going to do it again I would buy the stainless risers or opt for Lightnings there about $1400 and much better midrange Ive had both and good luck with each....