Notices

How can this sport grow?

Old 11-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree with almost everyone, each in a different way. Steve1 the pay-per-view to get things off the ground and into the TV world on a regular basis. Also, with the gambling to let people know that it is not a fake sport. Puder also that the sport MUST stick to the schedule. No more cancling events, its offshore boat racing for heaven sake. If the water is rough its rough. Raining maybe. Hurricane yes cancel. But do it in advance if at all possible.

If the sport wants to successful then everyone has to go ALL IN. I mean EVERYONE. The race teams, the sanctioning bodies ABPA, SBI; the camera crews, the announcers, the cities where the events are located, and the sponsors. All In! They all have to be working together for one common goal. Which is the promotion of Offshore Boat Racing.

I was once told in business, that in order to recieve you must First GIVE and expect nothing in return.

Its not hard or complicated just use common sense. Get a hold of radio stations and offer the boat and racer or team member(s) at a live remote a sell or give away tshirts or posters or other memorabilia, anything to get your name and the sponsors name out into the general public. Invite as many people as you can to an event.

The sponsors need to get behind the teams as well. I'm not talking about loading more money into a team either. Alot of the sponsors spend millions upon millions of dollars in advertising. Why not put the boats and the racers in the advertisments?Bicardi Silver spends big money on advertisments, why not put the boat in the advertisments? The race teams NEED to make it an issue. Even if they have to do it as part of there contract for no extra cost. I would love to see an offshore boat advertising its sponsor in a bar, on a billboard, or even a free poster at the supermarket.

I have alot more ideas about changing and promoting a sport that I love. I've promoted bars and nightclubs that take in Big Money. The most important thing that I learned was that, kids like to be different. What parent wouldn't attempt to buy something for their child(if they could afford it)that he or she wanted? Sounds weird(bars & nightclubs). In college I got into following offshore racing because no one else was. Women use to ask me all the time what Cigarette meant or WOW that is a really cool boat on the back of your shirt. What is that? Everyone was into Nascar, Cart, or NHRA. I was into offshore. It was exotic.

If you really want it to happen, then everyone has to go all in.

Thankx
Old 11-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Waterboy1

Wow,this is an excellent thread.Most of these suggestions for improving the sport seem obvious;the big question is, will anyone make it happen?.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:11 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ron:

Get real....simplification does not mean 4 classes......

Simplification means 1 class..... not 2 because 2 becomes 4 becomes 40. If one other class gets even a whiff that they can be on the main program, the screaming and pleading instantly become intolerable...."Why are they on TV and I'm not, when my sponsor just paid for my new (fill in the blank to your choosing.....drives, outboards, inboards, turbines, blowers, injectors, diesels, bat boat, paint job, tri-hull,......etc). This is crazy!

Offshore needs ONE premier class and only AFTER that catches a fan base can the "other" classes even begin to emerge. Nascar had one class, Indy ditto, Unlimited hydros ditto, Prop tour ditto, Formula one boats and cars ditto, ...we have to deal with this.

By the way, that class cannot be Factory 2..............Because, back to my original premise, if he or a relative or friend doesn't own one..........Joe Average is not going to stay on a channel for the sole purpose of watching what appear to be (and are) glorified pleasure boats racing.

As to the rough water vs calm water "excitement"..........Excitement is generated from true competition between numbers of boats....not jumping up and down...... You and I may realize that the Apache run at Point Pleasant years ago was a pretty amazing display........but, as stand alone video it would not merit more than 20-30 seconds on true broadcast quality TV......... and that annoying announcer back then created an awful lot of the excitement level ........"There's nobody else out here folks"...and "the magic throttle arm of Bob Saccenti"........ can only carry a show so far.

Believe me.....I know.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-15-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:46 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2x,

Carry you thought one step further. Were do the other classes run? In divisional events? On Saturday? Or are they in anouther racing league alltogether?

Ron
Old 11-15-2002, 09:01 AM
Registered

Ron,
I think the UIM sanctioning body has a bunch of classes but they do not run at the same time or weekend of the Class 1's. It's like a completley seperate event.
personally I think we really need to try and follow some of what the UIM does. 100,000 fans vs 10,000 is a big difference , and like someone said in a earlier post some of those fans don't even know what a Class 1 boat is , they just got caught up in the excitment.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Default T2x

Man do I remember Gangway! Remember back when we had the Miss Buffalo and Wild Root Charlie? I guess I am showing my age!

We still have the Atlas and the two setter Bud here. They were used in Madison The Movie.

Sorry to get off topic, just remembering.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not to compare again, but

NASCAR has a road course every 10 races or so, the APBA should throw in a Long course, Bahamas and back or something like it. Just one per year, you would get some of the old schoolers to race in that, some big apaches etc. Also do small courses, mix it up.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

Poker Runs are great and can only help Offshore Racing, The FPC is having their Key West Poker run in conjunction with the APBA worlds, this will only increase awareness of the sport, Saying poker runs hurt racing is like saying corvettes are hurting NASCAR. Sponcership need to promote the events better, I live in Ft Lauderdale and the only reason I know about the KeyWest races is OSO.
APBA needs to advertise the event, the bands the parties, give people(main stream) a reason to go to the events, Co-op the ads with radio stations, TV, hotels, bars, etc... in general promote the event. If the crowd show up the sponcer money and TV coverage will flow!
See ya at Key West!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

Look at Nascar, 50% of the people are there for the race and 50% are there for the party! Promote the party, KW is a better venue than any nascar track. Promote the party, the girls, the bands, and the awsome power. My first offshore race as a spectator was sbi in deerfield, We left the boat because of see conditions and went to the beach, brought lots of friends(non boaters) and when they saw the supercats running the straights at 100+ they were hooked, we had no idea who won what but had a great time. Over a million people fill Ft Lauderdale beach for the Air/Sea show each year, now I'm not going to say powerboating is as cool as F18 at 300+ but we should be able to draw a better crowd and make sponcership a viable option.
Also to bash on racing, every manufactor claims a world champ every year, every race is National or world championship or it sure seems that way, whats with that? Just because you win one race, even if you don't enter or finish any other race you are world champ?
Old 11-15-2002, 11:10 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ron:

Every sport has some form of developmental program..... The non-televised classes should make up that aspect of offshore. They should share the venues, pad the attendance, fill the motels and restaurants, etc.........race Saturday or in the morning...no problem. The issue is simply...keep them off the course during the main event while the cameras are rolling. In the past there has been an effort to provide "other class summaries" as a 10 minute segment of a one hour program. This is, in truth, merely a bone thrown to the racers, but has a decidedly confusing effect on the actual program as interviews have been included, etc. Remember, Joe Average is channel surfing and can arrive at mid program as well as at the beginning.......Keep on point and focused at all times....you get one chance to show off ....YOUR BEST.

For those racers pointing to existing sponsorships as reason for all the classes.....give me a break!.... If you had offered your sponsor a chance to be part of a main event instead of raising money for your own desire to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

T2x...........sick of seeing the wheel reinvented

Last edited by T2x; 11-15-2002 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How can this sport grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.