Notices

How can this sport grow?

Old 11-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jersy Boyz will have about 20 to 25 boats running for next year season .

We need some APPEARANCE MONEY .
Old 11-17-2002, 12:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ruben:

Regarding the TV, you're right...it doesn't help...because there are too many classes.

As to living in the past...... This sport is making the same mistakes it made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.....catering to racers and sponsors rather than fans....trying to be all things to all competitors...and acting as if the first sponsor or investor is the only/best sponsor or investor.........

One final point ....appearance money was routinely paid to attract top quality boats...... In those days you had more than one in each class.....

T2x
Old 11-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main problem is too many classes also. Hell, I'm a certified boat nut, and when watching the races, I don't have a clue who is racing who. Perhaps they can come up with a LARGE vinyl stripe with a color that designates which class you are in. Then at least people would know who is head to head with who. It is hard to get excited during the race when you have no idea who is leading what.

For classes I say

Under 30' V
Under 30' Cat

31 to 40 V N/A
31 to 40 V SC
31 to 40 Cat N/A
31 to 40 Cat SC

Over 40 V unlimited
Over 40 Cat unlimited
Old 11-17-2002, 02:07 PM
BK
Registered

Being a life-time lover of boat racing, the most successful events I've seen were put on by people who were far removed from boat racing's historic past, and incorporated items from outside the standard protocol.

My first boat race was the Outboard World Championships in Arizona, which drew contestants from countries across the globe. This race was established by Rober P McCullough (outboard mfg and chainsaw guy), who had just purchased millions of acres of land in the barren desert along the dammed-up Colorado River on an abandonded WWII training lake, known as Lake Havasu.

There was barely any inhabitants at the time (60's), so McCullough began giving land lots away as prizes, as well as gigantic amounts of money. He also began hosting big Friday night 'Calcutta' parties where betting on the racers was sometimes more exciting than the race itself. The crowds were enormous.

The reason he pursued boat racers to come to his events at such lofty levels? He wanted to be rich.

Did the guy love boat racing? Not really...He was he trying to build his new community - Lake Havasu City! His goal - to sell LAND. That's why he bought the London Bridge in the 70's as well.

Eventually, Mr McCullough sold the majority of his property in Havasu and ceased sponsoring the races....... The local sports club took over with markedly much less prize money and less to gain, so the race never regained the glory of the "WORLD" title event.

We can't be like car racing, mostly because we dont OWN the track we race on. Thus, we also can't control the gate like McCullough could. We have to request permission each event, never knowing if we'll get approval or not - and then we have to hope we can 'squeeze' ourselves into the allotted area granted to us.

Having these burdens makes boat racing different than nearly every other kind of motorsport on earth.

And a bigger challenge to the promoters.

The only way we can improve boat racing is to quit focusing on repeating what has been done in the past and move on to completely fresh new ideas, like other sports do to survive. Boat racing by itself doesn't generate the crowds we want to see, and never has. "Powerboating" is just not a passion for the majority of our citizens. We are now being squeezed out by environmentalists because we've never grown to be valuable for our hosting cities - some cities recognize the "Spend factor", but until your local crowds start to enjoy the event, there will always be struggles.

Until recently, boat racing was prone to walk backwards, making our value cheaper, decreasing the 'prestige-factor', becoming mediocre in a sea of advancing, evolving motorsports.

One way to endear these folks is by combining boat racing with something the locals want - adding value to the events -- People love being around celebrity and prestige. So, make sure our drivers and teams give the personna of a person of granduer (Some call it 'ego'? So what.) but if they are introduced as 'celebs' and look and act like celebs, then it draws people to want to meet them, see them, root for them.

Most people also enjoy extravagant parties and gambling ( such as betting on racers at a Calcutta?). Not sure if Calcutta's are legal???? But they sure are FUN

Then there are promoters who turn to a philanthropic purpose, to show they are truly 'good guys' which then gains the love and support of the locals. Providing benefits to Charities, Children, Metropolitan improvements, etc.

There are many more ideas never even touched on, it will just take someone thinking "out of the box" to come up with it.....and a club that will allow it to happen....

.....and have the courage to take the risk.

Just my 2 cents.

PS T2x brought up Valleyfield, and how they paid prize money immediately after the race. That's because the city controls the races - there's value from hosting these races: They own the property and have erected giant steel grandstands all along the shoreline. There are gates at the pit entrance (for a fee) as well as gates to enter the spectator area. There are even bleachers on the other side. The place was packed at $17. The childrens village was packed at $10 each. They held concerts and fireworks each night for more $$$, and the village had open market "Outdoor Sale" on the nearby downtown streets.

But the Inboard boat racing was really bad. Only about 5 boats in each class, and half would break before they finished.

There's a lot you can do if you can guarantee large paying crowds each year, mon ami.

Last edited by BK; 11-17-2002 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:36 PM
BK
Registered

Just a little something from the Valleyfield regatta website:

Race and Show Package $35
Children (12 years and under/$5)
Includes: Outdoor shows (4 nights)
Régates de Valleyfield races (3 days)

Reserved Stand Package $63
Children (12 years and under/$33)
Includes: Outdoor shows (4 nights)
Régates de Valleyfield races (3 days)
Reserved seat
Access to the pit

General Admission $18
Includes: Régates de Valleyfield races (3 days)

Reserved Stand $46
Includes: Régates de Valleyfield races (3 days)
Reserved seat
Access to the pit

And here's a picture of the Control Tower on the shore.....

Old 11-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok this is a revolutionary idea but I swear it will work. Guys who could care less about boats will come a runnin. STIPPERS, HOOKERS, and HOT CHICKS!!!!!
Old 11-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 11-18-2002, 05:45 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

BK:

I'm sorry the Inboard classes are not up to snuff either, but they too have been diluted by Unlimited Lights, Jet boats on closed courses, and, of course, events like the Poker Runs and the LOTO shootout. In the past 20 years many high performance boating events have proliferated.......heck even the bass anglers run pad bottom Allison knockoffs......... and this can't be "cured".

What can be controlled is the number of "featured" classes on television...... Until this is addressed and solved, each season is merely another link in a chain of redundancy........

A varied fleet of owners and sponsors who come....and go....stay only long enough to realise that the actual "long term" vision is whether or not to go to Key West or New Orleans at season's end.

T2x............. Key West Alumni -1979-96 (twice some years)
Old 11-23-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Just a thought.

It seems the big races (large number of boats and crowds) are all based around a good local organization. For Offshore, I would bring up the Suncoast group in Sarasota. They do the marketing, they orgainze the event. They add other events, like the boat parade, Golf competition between the racers, and many other functions to get the racers, fans, sponsors, and the city working to create a first class event. Hats off to Kevin Brown and crew. To top things off, they do it for a worthy cause. This is a plus for the sponsor, in that they are sponsoring a boat and a cause. Win Win for both.

What if teams were associated with their local groups.
The Suncoast area has a number of team that could work hand in hand with the Suncoast group to create a home town team.
Home town teams could consist of multiple boats in multiple classes.

Maybe we could see things like the Jersey Boy vs Suncoast where
each group pools to support it's home town team. Sponsors would feel more comfortable knowing that there was a group of boats running their logo, not just one. More bang for the bucks.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:30 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Can i put in better customer service. The rash of peopel gettign screwed by engien biulders and riggeres and so forth is rampant in this industry. Hell i just got screwed by one of the bigger engine biulders!!!! No to name name or anything cobra....
From now on i will go A. Local B. place si have only heard totally positive things about. There are very small number of engine biulders that have totally untarnished reputations and its greta that they uphold there quality control.

(to tie this into the topic) If more engien biulders adn perf shops operated in a professional manner this sport would grow.

T2x, is doug back? ( i hope all is well and everythign was suscessful, which i trust it is)

Is he biulding engines again??? I know who I want biulding my next pair of engines( once i scrape the $$$ together)

Quick Reply: How can this sport grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.