Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil >

Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil

Notices

Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil

Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil

Whatís out their for synthetic motor oil now that Mobil 1 is modified Dino oil? Thanks for any info, RM

In 1998, Mobil sued Castrol over the discovery that Castrol was processing conventional oil and calling it synthetic. At the time, Mobil 1 was still created using a true synthetic basestock, which is more expensive. Mobil lost the lawsuit, and, as a result, the "new" definition of 'synthetic oil' became much looser. In order to stay competitive, Mobil needed to downgrade their process to the more affordable process. The result is a hydrocracked, hydroisomerized conventional oil. Lubes N' Greases magazine has reported shortcomings in the ability to pass the tests that the original Mobil 1 formula was able to.[3]
Old 11-10-2020, 11:55 AM
SB
Registered

Received 1,151 Likes on 497 Posts

Thought Pennzoil Ultra, made from natural gas, was ? If so, can find great deals on Amazon once in a while.

Other than that, I use dino and 'lower grade' Mobil 1 synthetic. I am in central NH, and have kazzilions of cust cars go 200-400k before body falls off and engine still going strong.

Last edited by SB; 11-10-2020 at 02:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
Griff (11-12-2020), Padraig (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Thought Pennzoil Ultra, made from natural gas, was ? If so, can find great deals on Amazon once in a while.

Other than that, I use dino and 'lower grade' Mobil 1 synthetic. I am in central NH, and have kazzilions of cust cars go 200-400k before body galls off and engine still going strong.
mare they doing oil changes @ 20,000 mile intervals ?
Old 11-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW,
This is news to me. When did this "change" take place. I've been using Mobil 1 in everything, boat, M/C, truck, lawn mower, snow blower etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by David Stotz:
dykstra (11-11-2020), Gimme Fuel (11-11-2020), Griff (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:48 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
mare they doing oil changes @ 20,000 mile intervals ?
5-7k....mostly. Gas engines.

I also install 5w-30 in those requiring 5w-20 / 0-w-20 (that's for fuel mileage, not engine health....shhhh) and have not had one deal with factory oil issue recalls......like, ahhhh, Subaru which being in NH seems like 1/2 the cars we'd get.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 610 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by David Stotz View Post
WOW,
This is news to me. When did this "change" take place. I've been using Mobil 1 in everything, boat, M/C, truck, lawn mower, snow blower etc.
10 or so years ago. You're fine.
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:52 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by David Stotz View Post
WOW,
Below is basics, you can search browser for more in depth info.

Synthetic oil used in motor vehicles is refined from base oils or base stock oils. The American Petroleum Institute (API) categorizes base oils into five categories; the first three are oils refined from petroleum crude oil. Group IV base oils are fully synthetic, and Group V contains all base oils not in the first four groups. The API identifies two of the most common base oils used for synthetic oil as Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) and Esters (Diester and Polyol).
  • PAOs are the most common type of synthetic base oils used today thanks to their moderate price and little negative attributes. PAOs are Group IV base oils and are similar to mineral oil in their chemical makeup but the fact that it's built rather than extracted makes it purer. The benefits of PAOs include improved oxidation and thermal stability, low volatility (potential to change rapidly), good heat dissipation, low pour point (temperature below which a liquid loses the ability to flow) and it's free of waxy molecules.
  • Esters- a Group V base oil made from ester oils is created from the reaction of acids and alcohols with water molecules splitting off. The most common esters used for synthetic motor oil are diesters and polyol esters. Diesters are commonly used as an additive with PAO base stock oil. Esters have high thermal stability and excellent low pour point characteristics but poor hydrolytic stability (the resistance of a cured polymer material to going back to a semisolid or liquid form when exposed to high temperatures and humidity).
Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil
Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
10 or so years ago. You're fine.
You're fine lmao. Ah ok. He was paying for the good top of the food chain synthetic oil and they bait and switch him. I call bs Itís not as good as the original formula. You remember. The oil the oem car and bike makers said donít use it until the engine is broken in as itís so slick the rings might not seat. Yeah the good stuff you were paying a lot of extra coin for...
Old 11-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 610 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
You're fine lmao. Ah ok. He was paying for the good top of the food chain synthetic oil and they bait and switch him. I call bs Itís not as good as the original formula. You remember. The oil the oem car and bike makers said donít use it until the engine is broken in as itís so slick the rings might not seat. Yeah the good stuff you were paying a lot of extra coin for...
$22.97 for five quarts really isn't "a lot of extra coin". And it does meet the definition of full synthetic by the oil standard. I have used it for 20 years and have 338,000 miles on my 5.3 GMC, 247,000 on my Cadillac Northstar, 150,000 on my 8.1L 3/4 ton truck and 18yrs on my 6500 RPM big blocks in my boat. (I throw that s#it in everything!) I did a poker run and 2 fun runs with a cracked block and over a gallon of water in my oil each time. Tore engine down and bearings were pristine. Like I said, "He's fine."

There is a little trade off between the 2 PAO and Eater bases. PAO's are a polymer which can be heater over and over and retain properties, unless heated to degradation. (thermoplastic polymer) As an Ester base can and will cross link if over heated and lose its properties. (thermoset polymer) The blend of the 2 is somewhat the best of both worlds.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rookie:
Gimme Fuel (11-11-2020), Griff (11-11-2020), Ryan00TJ (11-26-2020), SB (11-10-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.