Notices

poker runs. true or not?

Old 11-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poker runs. true or not?

have read an article about old poker runs;people used to put thousands of dollars and the winner takes all....
is this a true story?
do you still have this kind of runs?

as i know poker runs are like cruising tours for fun now. right?

thnx
Old 11-13-2002, 04:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's still basically the same you pay $ to enter, the hotel room, etc.
And win some $. It's become more competitive. And alot of industry people enter too. (I am speaking of the NY Hudson run). It's a pure adreneline rush, and the best part is the start (for me anyway). Unfortunatey, last years weather was overcast, cold and damp. Not nearly as many boats showed up as compared to the previous years.

It has become the who's who in the area. It's great!

Just have one question for Sharkey. How do you survive that run every year? I'd have to be put in traction after that run. You definately are the "Spirit of the Hudson."
Old 11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Registered

''put up $100,000 each.... winner take all..... for a race from Miami to New York.''

talking about hi $$$. races.
this part is taken from www.apacheraceboat.com
Old 11-14-2002, 05:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Poker Runs

Timucin,

I run several each season. Winter with Stu Jones and the Florida Powerboat Club (FPC) and Summer with the Lake Erie Offshore Alley Club.
They all have some sort of Cash Prize. Usually it is a small portion of each persons entry fee.
In the Offshore alley run we can also "buy" additional hands for $100.00 each.
But with only 20 boats and perhaps 60 people in that event you really do not get a big purse.

In either case the real fun of the events is running with the other people and boats. The sheer audacity of running with 20-80 other offshores at the same time to the same place cannot be described. Words and pictures could never do it justice.
Check out the FPC website and you can get some more info but at some point your gonna have to get back to the USA and just do one. whether as crew or captain. Just do it.

Best
Rice Hauler
Old 11-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Try the AHBA Sping and Fall Heatwave poker runs every year in Havasu. There's always 150-200 fire-breathing, thunderous hot boats in the run. The best hand prize is normally in the area of $4000, with at least that much also going to local charities. Lotta fun, cool boats, and great folks. Can't be beat.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

I know that the Lake Taxoma(sp) was advertising in 2000 a winner take all poker run. The entry fee was if I rember right $500.00 and the min. purse was $75,000.00 I don't know if it is still ran that way and how the outcome was of that run, maybe there are some people here who have more input on it. That is the only one that I know of that was still a winner take all run.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

Now that would be cool ... kind of a like a cannoball run.

Each "team" put's up say $5000, and it's run what you brung.
The key would be to make it from one point and then back. Say from Detroit to Port Huron and back. So you have to make a gas stop and do some navigating. Sure it might be illegal but wouldn't it be fun !
Winner takes the money ..minus enough to pay for a chopper to video the race.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default 26 Scarab

Scarab,

Don't forget a true "Poker Run" is not a race.
I think that it is very important to reinforce this among the informed and unimformed.
Yes sometimes the boats do run pretty hard from stop to stop.
But the point of the whole excercise is to allow chance in the form of cards that are randomly picked to even out the playing field.
Having the fastest boat is never an issue and in some cases having a boat period is not an issue.
Last year the winning hand on our offshore alley poker run was held by a crew member who was not the boat owner.
I'm a fan as much as anyone of the Cannonballs but in this format that is just a recipe for disaster IMHO.
Personally I like them because I enjoy meeting and running with all the people, that share the same hobby that I do.

just my $.02

Best,

Rice Hauler
Old 11-14-2002, 09:46 AM
CJC
Registered

Rice Hauler-

Your location says Ohio. Have you ever been to the 1000 Islands run??

"The sheer audacity of running with 20-80 other offshores at the same time to the same place cannot be described. "

We had over 150 boats in this years run! You're right - words and pictures can't do it justice. What a RUSH!!

P.S. -Was that your boat in the Lincoln comercial?
Old 11-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Rice Hauler,
I understand and have been in more than a few poker runs and as much as what you stated is reinforced 80% of the boats where running as hard as they could. Including myself. And yes I do agree there is a danger there. Not everyone is comfortable running hard with boats that close, let's face some people drive there boats the way they drive there cars and we all know how the freeways are.

Quick Reply: poker runs. true or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.