Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why did Donzi fail? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/369605-why-did-donzi-fail.html)

Gmogomez 12-07-2020 10:41 AM

Why did Donzi fail?

Hey guys sorry about my negligence on this boat, but why did the Donzi 44 Icon never really pan out? I mean It's basically the highest form of luxury/comfort with lots of speed. I understand they sold there demo boat. But why didn't they get at least a handful of orders? Is there something out there that I don't know about this beauty?

Bostonirish 12-07-2020 11:07 AM

Tough market is my guess

caseyh 12-07-2020 12:06 PM

same goes for the 42 and 47 lightings they built. its all about cc's right now

caseyh 12-07-2020 12:13 PM

and the zrc is still sitting

PremierPOWER 12-07-2020 12:25 PM

If I remember right, the price on that 44 was well over $800k. For that kind of money, you can have a very nice CC or a more proven cat (MTI, Mystic, Skater, etc). I hate seeing Donzi struggle. We have a 43 ZR with triple 700's and a Limited Edition Blackhawk 22 Classic, so I am a Donzi enthusiast. Donzi was one of the first in the CC market, so it's sad not seeing them relevant even in that class of boats.

Gmogomez 12-07-2020 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER (Post 4768340)
If I remember right, the price on that 44 was well over $800k. For that kind of money, you can have a very nice CC or a more proven cat (MTI, Mystic, Skater, etc). I hate seeing Donzi struggle. We have a 43 ZR with triple 700's and a Limited Edition Blackhawk 22 Classic, so I am a Donzi enthusiast. Donzi was one of the first in the CC market, so it's sad not seeing them relevant even in that class of boats.

I'm guessing that the performance big cat market doesn't care for the extra cock pit space.

Tom A. 12-07-2020 02:18 PM

Mistakes in how to build and sell the brand....

Jupiter Sunsation 12-07-2020 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gmogomez (Post 4768345)
I'm guessing that the performance big cat market doesn't care for the extra cock pit space.

That boat isn't really in the same league as other 44 foot cats. With quad 400s they were hoping it would hit 120 mph...... that is a sled for 1600 HP!

I like the Mystic 40 is my favorite and its significantly less than the Donzi MSRP, runs the same speed with 1/2 as many motors and still seats 6.

Donzi/Fountain/Baja group or whatever it is called is going to have the same issues as the former ownership group if they don't come up with fresh ideas that sell.

Re-hashing old 38 ZRC, Fountain 42/47 designs isn't going to work especially at their asking prices. ZRC is a great boat, but face reality it is a terrible fit for today's boating lifestyle.........ZERO amenities and 5 seats. They didn't even revive the better ZRC hull but rather the prior version. How many ZRC's did they sell over the whole production run when the original Donzi was making them? 50-100? Why target such a small group of buyers? I have a buddy that has bought 4 brand new Fountains, the last three being 42s. He loves the brand, big fan of Reggie. He actually inquired about a new build, then complained his last 3 Fountain 42s combined didn't cost what they want for a new one today! Now part of it is the power and drives are much more pricey, can't compare #6s to bravos which his 3 42s had but its essentially the same boat from 20+ years ago.

If it was the car business, imagine if Ford offered a 2000 Mustang GT new today or Chevy offered a 2000 C5 Corvette for the what a 2020 version costs today? It would be crickets in the dealerships........

92nsx 12-07-2020 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gmogomez (Post 4768345)

And they didn't want their windscreen / windshield to look like a cock and balls either :party-smiley-004:

Bostonirish 12-07-2020 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 92nsx (Post 4768367)
And they didn't want their windscreen / windshield to look like a cock and balls either :party-smiley-004:

lol