Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Headsets (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/369636-headsets.html)

extras 12-08-2020 10:44 AM

Headsets

Who makes a good set of headsets for an open boat. Looking for 5 headsets. Thanks

thirdchildhood 12-08-2020 10:46 AM

Me too. Something affordable. Maybe I'd start with only two. Now we wear ear muffs for longer cruises and can't talk.

ICDEDPPL 12-08-2020 11:00 AM

Tom Frank
Comzilla - Mfr. Rep.
25 Years of Premier In-Vehicle
Communications
928.208.3467 AZ Cell
909.376.3349 CA Cell
www.comzilla.com
[email protected]

if this guy is still around then I highly recommend.
Lake michigan pounding destroys amps and radios, Toms systems still working great 7 years later

. Our systems are built to customer specifications by hand in small batches here in the US. The rugged system you are looking at is a mass produced item from China or Korea. The system you are looking at there is actually their least costly configuration with the headsets shown, so I don't think it would get much cheaper even with over the head headsets, but I could be wrong. With that said, it would be difficult for me to get our pricing under $1,000 for a complete system with headsets as you describe. Roughly, we would be in the $1,450 ballpark for one of our systems.

Now for the justification. Besides being hand built in the USA, our systems are built to out live the vehicles they put in. We have been doing this for 30 plus years and many of our systems have been in use 15 years or more in specific off shore boats and off road trucks without issue. Internally we build our systems with two independent power supplies, where others do not. We hard wire all cabling off the board out of the box where others use plug in cables. Each cable has a connector with 4 solder joints per connector, per side. Adding in the 2 connectors and the 8 solder joints, you increase possible failures by 10 times. We do not use VOX at all. Our systems are live continuous. VOX needs to be adjusted based on the increased noise environment. At idle you set it at one level, at speed another, and so on. If you set it too tight, your first word can be clipped. If that first word is turn or stop, it could be costly. Besides becoming a pointless feature, I primarily mention the VOX topic as you say you want something simple. Simple is what we believe in. Once our intercom is mounted, it has power, cables are run, and headsets are plugged in, you are talking live continuous. Those are just some of the reasons our intercom is set apart from others.

In regard to the headsets, we are all pretty much using the same ones. The only thing I do different from others is use a genuine military grade mic. Others are using copies of such a mic. If after reading this you would like a detailed quote, please let me know. By all means I would love to build you a system, but if budget is a concern, we might not be the right fit for your needs. I can say if you do have a system built by us, if it is taken care of, it is likely to provide you with many years of enjoyment.

Gmogomez 12-08-2020 11:26 AM

Sampson racing Headsets. Top of the line in my experience.

Cash Bar 12-08-2020 11:34 AM

Is it a boat with lots of wind exposure to your face, or just an open boat?

I got these for the new MTI. Wireless, inexpensive, and they work fantastic. You can connect up to four at once and all can talk easily.

If you are running with high wind exposure they may not stay on as well. They fit great but 70+ directly on them might push them back.

About $230-250 ea depending on where you can find them available on the web.

Padraig 12-08-2020 12:13 PM

I too have had good luck with the Sampson Racing head sets. I have the Blue Tooth models and love how easy they are to use. No wiring etc. Put them on and turn on. I have had the for at least three seasons.

Padraig

badmonkey 12-08-2020 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4768532)
I too have had good luck with the Sampson Racing head sets. I have the Blue Tooth models and love how easy they are to use. No wiring etc. Put them on and turn on. I have had the for at least three seasons.

Padraig

Exactly what we use....they are great.

thirdchildhood 12-08-2020 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 4768527)
Is it a boat with lots of wind exposure to your face, or just an open boat?
I got these for the new MTI. Wireless, inexpensive, and they work fantastic. You can connect up to four at once and all can talk easily.
If you are running with high wind exposure they may not stay on as well. They fit great but 70+ directly on them might push them back.
About $230-250 ea depending on where you can find them available on the web.
Amazon.com: SENA TUFFTALK-LITE-01 TUFFTALK LITE OVER-THE-HEAD EARMUFF LONG-RANGE BLUETOOTH: Automotive

I'm not the OP but I am also looking for affordable headsets for next summer. My Donzi puts the wind directly in our faces unless I clamp on the deflectors. The muffs we wear stay on fine if we just put the band forward a bit, like across our foreheads more. Cash Bar, do you think we could push them forward and keep them on our heads at 80 mph or 70 mph cruise? The price is right! I will price out the Sampsons also.

"... if budget is a concern, we might not be the right fit for your needs." lol That's me. I'm poor!

thirdchildhood 12-08-2020 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4768532)
Padraig

Is there a link to them? I can't find them. (sorry, OP! Feel free to jump in. lol)

Padraig 12-08-2020 02:11 PM

Her is link to the two set package.
Wireless Bluetooth Intercom Hearing Protection Headset 2 Place (sampsonracing.com)