Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Commentary: A Miami Boat Show Wake-Up Call (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/369919-commentary-miami-boat-show-wake-up-call.html)

Matt Trulio 01-05-2021 11:31 AM

Commentary: A Miami Boat Show Wake-Up Call

Cancelled this year, the Miami International Boat Show needs a strong return in 2022 to secure its future, https://www.speedonthewater.com/comm...-wake-up-call/

jeff32 01-05-2021 04:44 PM

sad but true ...

Keith Atlanta 01-05-2021 05:31 PM

I cant remember, it was it cancelled in 2020 correct? Only Ft Lauderdale - right?

Matt Trulio 01-05-2021 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4771832)
I cant remember, it was it cancelled in 2020 correct? Only Ft Lauderdale - right?

The Miami Show happened in 2020, as did the Fort Lauderdale Show. Miami is cancelled for 2021. Fort Lauderdale is still scheduled.

It does seem like a lifetime ago. I get the memory issues. :)

Jupiter Sunsation 01-06-2021 07:03 AM

BMW, Mini, Mercedes and Audi have all pulled out of doing auto shows. They used to tour the whole country with the other manufacturers and realized it was expensive and with facebook/other social media they could reach more people without the hassle/expense of a physical show. Think about it, they put their latest/greatest model on a rotating platform, hire a model to point out a few features on microphone but as a buyer you really don't get to experience the car (you don't drive it, probably don't even sit in it). Post a 3 minute video online and you get to see the car perform, you get to see the whole interior/features and watch it as many times as you want.

Boat shows are expensive to participate in, Miami has made it a hassle to attend and being in February in Miami (height of tourist season) it is expensive for people to attend. So for new boats you could potentially cross shop multiple brands in one day without having to cross the country visiting everyone's factory. But hit a single poker run and I'd bet you could mingle on all the boats and actually talk to the owners to see how the boats really are (vs. sales pitch at the show).

I'd bet the manufacturers see this closure as a line item cost they can delete from the future calendars as well.

thirdchildhood 01-06-2021 07:30 AM

It kind of mirrors the plight of the Detroit Auto Show.

speicher lane 01-06-2021 07:57 AM

Social media definitely has it's place in modern marketing to society but, at a boat show there is a lot of sales conducted without hesitation because people can touch the product. It's been proven that people go through the same mental process of purchasing a higher $$$ boat/ annual income as purchasing a house vs something like a car.

There is a confidence in physically seeing and touching that readily draws the signature on a purchase. Sales is about the most productive avenue to get the signature.

Wildman_grafix 01-06-2021 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4771895)
BMW, Mini, Mercedes and Audi have all pulled out of doing auto shows. They used to tour the whole country with the other manufacturers and realized it was expensive and with facebook/other social media they could reach more people without the hassle/expense of a physical show. Think about it, they put their latest/greatest model on a rotating platform, hire a model to point out a few features on microphone but as a buyer you really don't get to experience the car (you don't drive it, probably don't even sit in it). Post a 3 minute video online and you get to see the car perform, you get to see the whole interior/features and watch it as many times as you want.

I got to admit I never much cared for the new car auto shows, seems you could get more by going to the dealer lots.