Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
This ground-breaking water jet could jump-start the electric boats revolution >

This ground-breaking water jet could jump-start the electric boats revolution

Notices

This ground-breaking water jet could jump-start the electric boats revolution

Old 01-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default This ground-breaking water jet could jump-start the electric boats revolution

Italian start-up Sealence is promising dramatic gains in the speed and range of electric boats thanks to a radical new pod-shaped waterjet, reports Hugo Andreae

Building an electric boat isn’t difficult but creating one with the speed and range to rival a petrol or diesel powered one is a whole lot harder. That is the quandary that set Italian engineer William Gobbo on the path to developing a completely new kind of electric propulsion system.

Rather than simply swapping a boat’s combustion engine for an electric motor and leaving the rest of the drivetrain untouched, Gobbo realised that a holistic approach, which played to an electric motor’s strengths, would reap far bigger rewards. The solution he came up with is an electric waterjet that combines both the motor and the propulsion system in a single unit.

https://www.mby.com/gear/water-jet-e...nFjiN8cYeb4rUU
The following 2 users liked this post by Marginmn:
Cash Bar (01-13-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Interesting to watch this as is it develops
Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

I didn't know jests were more effcent at higher speeds. I see they are talking fuel cell in the large cruiser as well.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

Wow. Going green quickly and Biden hasn't even stepped in the White House yet. Lol.. Big step from trolling motors! I do like the innovation. I just can't get past the distance between charge when you consider the efficiency between that of an automobile and a boat even if they both weighed the same. Although electric semis are being introduced as well so...

Cool article but let's please go back old school already.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 4,249 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Talking

No outdrive gears to break, sign me up!
Old 01-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Wow. Going green quickly and Biden hasn't even stepped in the White House yet. Lol.. Big step from trolling motors! I do like the innovation. I just can't get past the distance between charge when you consider the efficiency between that of an automobile and a boat even if they both weighed the same. Although electric semis are being introduced as well so...

Cool article but let's please go back old school already.
The boat in the article had both a fuel cell, and a generator. I assume for when you run out of battery, to me in a large cruiser cool,,,, and the more electric power the less demand for oil,,,, less demand=cheaper prices.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It won’t mean you will be getting a fuel savings by not buying as much fuel. The cost/gallon will just go up even more. No different than people going to solar in their homes its just raising the costs to buy energy. Basic supply & demand the energy & fuel companies will make their margins either way and that will never change.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry didn’t catch the sarcasm but before I replied. Carry on
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 164 Posts

I like the thought process, with companies like this developing new systems it forces big companies like Mercury to compete for their share as well. Although Mercury currently owns the boating propulsion market, this will force them to continue to develop more efficient engines. If they choose to ignore innovation they could become the next Kodak or Sears. We all know what happened to them when they made that choice.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Topshelf38
Sorry didn’t catch the sarcasm but before I replied. Carry on
We need to have a sarcasm emoji.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.