Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Merc manual for winter fogging mixture >

Merc manual for winter fogging mixture

Notices

Merc manual for winter fogging mixture

Old 11-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Mr.Gov'nt

Default Merc manual for winter fogging mixture

I just winterized my 2003 496 HO according to the Merc manual and used the 5 gals of fuel,2 qts of 2 cycle oil and 5 ozs of fuel stabilizer (for the fogging mixture) and ran the engine at 1300 rpms for 5 min. but I only used about 1 1/2 galons of this mixture. Whats up with Merc saying to mix up with 5 gals of fuel? I would have had to run the engine for about 15 or 20 min to use up that much. Don't waste the fuel, 2 cycle oil and fuel stabilizer by mixing the whole receipy. Mix up 1/2 or less of this mixture. My 2 cents......

Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move to Florida and you don't have to worry about that ****!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 01:44 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Troutly,
I am interested in your approach of putting the mixture in the fuel filter.
Do you leave the fuel line from the tank disconnected?
If so, how long do you let the engine run?
Is the exhaust smokey when you shut it down, indicating mixture made it to the cylinders?

Seems like the fuel level in the filter would drop fairly quickly to the point were it does not pickup fuel in the filter. At that point what is burned by the engine is mostly regular gas and not the mixture that is going to the injectors.

Which engine do you have.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, like Troutly, I do mine the same way.

It can be messy trying to remove a full fuel seperator, empty some of the fuel out, add in the concoction and then reattach . But it can be done.

Motor will run, , slowly hiss alittle, smoke alittle and finally die. I tried a few times to re-start after she died and it would not stay running.

You can either remove the fuel line to the seperator or do as I do and crimp it off in a few places. You will find out that not all of your mixture will be used up in the seperator. Simply remove the seperator with any left over mixture and dispose of. Install new seperator and your back in business.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:06 AM
rv
Registered

Thanks HP500efi.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:24 AM
ursus

"It can be messy trying to remove a full fuel seperator, empty some of the fuel out, add in the concoction and then reattach . But it can be done"

Actually you should replace the fuel filter anually and so this is the time to do it, remove old discard, fill new with mixture attach and run for not less than 1 min and not more than 2 min is what merc used to recomend before they changed to the mix in a can procedure, you don't have to disconnect the fuel line when you do this.

Personally I make up the mix in an out board tank with a fuel line I can just slip off/on the fuel filter inlet, using 9 litres of gas, 1 litre of oil, 100 ml of stab, this makes 10 litres (2.5 gal gas, 1 qt oil, 3 oz stab for you yanks) and there is probably still 1 gal left over.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:06 AM
rv
Registered

Thanks guys,
I think I will try your procedure next year without removing the fuel line and pinching it off, anything to simplify the process.

Rick