Notices

Mercury Goes Boldly With 600-HP V-12 Verado Outboard

Old 02-14-2021, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,826 Likes on 715 Posts

I apologize.

Me armchair quarter backing.
I was out of line.

You do way more for the sport than I ever will and that is to be appreciated and respected.

IMO, it’s still ugly 😉

Im not a fan of all the high tech gizmos on a motor that will spend its life in horrendous a environment.

This coming from a guy that broke the handle off a 2 lb hammer knocking a dead piston out of a saltwater block.

Carry on.......

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Interesting notion, but no one dictates what I write, much less "pays" me to write headlines. I just thought it was a good choice to incorporate Mercury' Marine tag line in my headline because I think the Verado 600 is a bold and innovative product. I believe the product as described supports the headline. (I also thought the headline was clear and catchy, which kind of matters if you want your stories to be read.)

Clearly, you disagree. Which is fine.

People sure have strong opinions about a product they'd never buy, which also is fine. But it does seem like a lot of lost energy.

Don't like the price, the weight, the look or the technology? Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
Apexwarrior (02-15-2021), blown (02-14-2021), hoodoo (02-14-2021), IGetWet (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Three possibly four 600h.p. outboards replacing the typical twin diesel propulsion in this class boat seems an odd exchange unless there is a significant cost savings over the lifespan the only gain is additional cabin space in the least desirable location on a boat.
The following 4 users liked this post by Interceptor:
altamate (02-14-2021), hoodoo (02-14-2021), ICDEDPPL (02-14-2021), sailtexas186548 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

It's not all just about cost. There's also a significant gain (for those who value that sort of thing - not everyone does) in both cruising and top end speed. In addition, the ability to trim the motors and props completely out of the water provides additional versatility in shallower cruising areas. I'm not knocking the traditional diesel inboard setup - it's tried and true with it's own set of benefits. I suppose I just don't get all the angst and bashing about big outboards on bigger boats ( not directed at your post, Interceptor). They might not be your particular cup of tea, but for some others and the way they enjoy their boats, the mainstream production of these new motors is fantastic news. To each his own - it doesn't have to be a threat or an insult to your preferred choice of propulsion system.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Three possibly four 600h.p. outboards replacing the typical twin diesel propulsion in this class boat seems an odd exchange unless there is a significant cost savings over the lifespan the only gain is additional cabin space in the least desirable location on a boat.
Everyone has their own preference but I think we loose some of the elegance by sticking those things on the back of a transom, Kind of like having a Roots blower sticking through the hood of a Jag XKE or Ferrari Daytona. If the Boat is really just an oversized CC, well OK maybe that's fine as long as the cost and reliability benefit are real, Otherwise I'm with you and if I want my boat to go faster bigger diesels and surface drives.

Last edited by altamate; 02-14-2021 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by altamate:
ICDEDPPL (02-14-2021), IGetWet (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

This motor came out for one reason and one reason only - there is a solid market of demand that is willing to pay for it. Being in business is about delivering to the clients demands even if it goes against your personal taste...Every major builder is now over 50' in CC, with this engine it will attract more attention from the 42' range to the big girls

Case in point the 700 SCI, merc dropped it and demand was such it came back = money still to be made for Merc and boaters get the reliable power they wanted.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:58 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I apologize.

Me armchair quarter backing.
I was out of line.

You do way more for the sport than I ever will and that is to be appreciated and respected.

IMO, it’s still ugly 😉

Im not a fan of all the high tech gizmos on a motor that will spend its life in horrendous a environment.

This coming from a guy that broke the handle off a 2 lb hammer knocking a dead piston out of a saltwater block.

Carry on.......
Don't apologize, please. I just didn't want anyone thinking that Mercury Marine told me to write that headline. Good or bad, right or wrong, the choice was mine.

And the Verado 600 look isn't my favorite, either. Then again, it took me a while to like Mercury Racing's angular cowlings for its V-8 outboards. Truth is, I'm stilling getting used to it. You?
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Trulio:
Cash Bar (02-15-2021), Toffen (02-15-2021), Twin O/B Sonic (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
This motor came out for one reason and one reason only - there is a solid market of demand that is willing to pay for it. Being in business is about delivering to the clients demands even if it goes against your personal taste...Every major builder is now over 50' in CC, with this engine it will attract more attention from the 42' range to the big girls

Case in point the 700 SCI, merc dropped it and demand was such it came back = money still to be made for Merc and boaters get the reliable power they wanted.
Agreed, but it sure seems odd that Volvo took 7 Marine out of the market if the demand was strong and had a great outlook?
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

It may have been a closed door meeting of two companies......Brp tossing Evinrude was just a surprise even though the Black engines take a majority of the market.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropical Buzz
It's not all just about cost. There's also a significant gain (for those who value that sort of thing - not everyone does) in both cruising and top end speed. In addition, the ability to trim the motors and props completely out of the water provides additional versatility in shallower cruising areas. I'm not knocking the traditional diesel inboard setup - it's tried and true with it's own set of benefits. I suppose I just don't get all the angst and bashing about big outboards on bigger boats ( not directed at your post, Interceptor). They might not be your particular cup of tea, but for some others and the way they enjoy their boats, the mainstream production of these new motors is fantastic news. To each his own - it doesn't have to be a threat or an insult to your preferred choice of propulsion system.
Actually I like this big outboard but maybe on other hulls, more on pure C.C's or some performance hulls. The example Formula and Tiara models shown usually putt putt around in the 25-32 knot range around here so this outboard seems out of place. Also what have the hull manufacturers done to make this outboard work ?
Old 02-14-2021, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
If it can get these boats up on plane instead of plowing 6-8 foot wakes then I'm all for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.