Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tuning Mercury verado 400 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/370511-tuning-mercury-verado-400-a.html)

baldo 02-22-2021 07:55 PM

Tuning Mercury verado 400

Does anyone tune or do upgrades to these outboards?

boostbros 02-23-2021 06:47 AM

of course there are! it has gone underground because merc threatened to sue any one reeducating the computer on their engines there are several ways around this a really hard running boat in the islands had computers replaced with something the ricer car tuners use......its a bit like big brother telling you to not look on page 34 of playboy as the clothing is not approved for the public to see!

baldo 02-23-2021 06:51 AM

This is what I was hoping to hear! how does someone find these underground tuners and how much more can be had out of a verado 400?

Thank you for the response!

Gmogomez 02-23-2021 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by baldo (Post 4778606)
Does anyone tune or do upgrades to these outboards?

I know acouple people that flash them in Miami. A 350 verado can be flashed to 485hp. So I think the 400 would also be flashed to 485hp.

PremierPOWER 02-23-2021 10:26 AM

How can Mercury sue someone for doing something to their own engine? Deny warranty claims, sure, but sue?

C5Steve 02-23-2021 12:18 PM

Check out USP Marine Tuning – Marine Performance Solutions USP Marine Tuning Marine Performance Solutions

davidwademarine 02-24-2021 05:54 AM

Just an FYI, you may find someone to reflash it illegally but if the engine is under warranty then it won’t be for long. All it takes is for a dealer to connect their CDS laptop or a customer to log in with Vessel View Mobile. It’s a violation of EPA emissions regulations. It’s a battle that you won’t win in the courtroom. Between the teams of lawyers that the federal government and Brunswick employ, they’ll just litigate into bankruptcy anyone that wants to challenge them.

baldo 02-24-2021 07:29 AM

why are they so harsh on boats but cars do it everyday?

Wildman_grafix 02-24-2021 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by baldo (Post 4778838)
why are they so harsh on boats but cars do it everyday?

I think it most likely is more of a IF. Try and get warranty and you are screwed, will a shop turn you in if you are paying them? Maybe, maybe not. What incentive do they have.

Not sure how on a older boat it is handled, with cars if you are doing changes to old cars normally there isn't much rules since they didn't come with a lot of emission equipment anyway.

I do know a friend that used to do a lot of deletes on trucks and they did get told to stop. They were linked to the company selling the delete kits.

baldo 02-24-2021 09:21 AM

Ya maybe Oklahoma is just easy! Obviously if I had a motor tuned, I am not taking it in for warranty work when it breaks. That’s silly. i would not strap a procharger on a corvette and ask chevrolet to warranty the motor when it blows.